Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm new to this forum and just recently started mountain biking and have gotten really into it. I purchased a cheapey Haro V1 and already find myself getting much better and more extreme and needing a better bike. But the problem is I dont have too much extra spare cash. So when I try to hop up a rock on this bike the crank smacks against things since its pretty low to the ground. So I figured I'd buy a bash gaurd but I didn't know if it was even possible to install one on the bike since the cranks are riveted on or appear to be.:confused: I just need something to protect the teeth on the cranks before they get too ripped up. And eventually I was maybe looking to buy some better shocks than the junky omni shocks that came with it....possible some RockShox Dart 2's :confused:

Thanks for any help!
:)

Also what shocks would you recommend if I got new ones.....I like doing a lot of technical stuff like climbing up rocks hills with rocks.........and also going down steep stuff with a lot of big drops and things like that. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure he could put on a bashguard, it's a fairly low end bike, and so comes with a low end crankset, which usually have riveted chainrings.

Just take it into your lbs and ask about it, they should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Probably just save up for a whole new bike. If you try to start upgrading what you have you'll rapidly exceed what the bike cost in the first place (that "trying to polish a turd" analogy would apply here), and you'll start getting close to a better complete bike cost pretty quick. If it's a bike that came with riveted on chainrings and an omni shock the frame, cranks, etc. probably wouldn't hold up to many drops anyway, better to try to sell it while it's still in saleable condition and save up for something that will be more enjoyable to ride and safe too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya thanks for the tips, I just don't have a whole lot of extra cash and I want a new bike really bad but just simply don't have the money. I have the mountain bike addiction though so I don't think I could sell my bike and be without one for long. =D

But this bike isn't even close to what I need though. I've already mashed up the chainring teeth (thanks for the clerification Jareth) :p I can't keep myself from trying to do more and more difficult things but this p.o.s. bike just ins't holding up. Can you guys give me some links to good bikes that aren't too much money.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.