Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know when PUSH'd Fox Float shock needs re-servicing? I have a PUSH's Fox shock and had it for about year and half. I probably rode about two to three times per wekk during that time period (less during winter). Shock seems fine but if its performace has slowly degraded due to a slow oil loss (not that I can tell any) or contamination, how do I know? So if shock needs normal servicing, what work is involved? Just oil and o-ring change, or new seal too?

STH

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good Q

My guess would be that you've already noticed enough of a dergading of performance to warrant service. My money says that Darren will be along in this forum shortly to offer up his thoughts on servicing PUSH'd shocks. They do a very good job of monitoring this forum and replying to inquiries. I'm interested in what he has to say.

Bob

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call_me_Clyde said:
My guess would be that you've already noticed enough of a dergading of performance to warrant service. My money says that Darren will be along in this forum shortly to offer up his thoughts on servicing PUSH'd shocks. They do a very good job of monitoring this forum and replying to inquiries. I'm interested in what he has to say.

Bob
Performance degration is hard for me to tell. Rebound knob still has a good range of control and shock compression feel during ride seems OK but unless the shock is completely broke, I find that normal degration is hard to detect on any shock or fork. I do notice a very small amount of dirt attracted to a very small amount of oil that is seeping out from the base of shrader valve on the shock. If dirt wasn't on the oil, I would have never known that there was any oil seemping from the base of shrader valve at all. Once again, I want to emphasize a micro amount of oil and I have always noticed this from day one. I think it's normal, maybe.

STH

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I misread the O P

"Shock seems fine but if its performace has slowly degraded due to a slow oil loss (not that I can tell any) or contamination, how do I know?"

I didn't see the "if" in this sentence. Regardless, as I stated, Darren is very good at replying to threads in this forum. Hopefully, he'll be able to guide you on what to look for in terms of detecting degradation of performance.

Bob

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Well you probably should have done the air sleeve service a couple times now. I usually do mine every 6 months or so. I haven't done it this year because I can't get the damn AVA sleeve off (I need a better strap wrench). So if you don't do the air sleeve maintenance, your lube can dry up and the seals will get sticky. The oil around the schrader valve is probably a slight leak from the seal around the schrader or just a bit of oil blowing out when you attach/remove the shock pump. If it doesn't leak air, I would suspect the latter.

Now, the air sleeve is separate from the major overhaul that needs to be done about once a year to maintain damping performance. This is factory (PUSH or Fox) maintenance that includes changing the damping oil and internal seals and recharging the nitrogen in the damping chamber as well as the full air sleeve maintenance with new air seals. It is almost impossible for the shock to have any damping at all if it were leaking damping oil. If you had a blown shock, you would know it.

As the nitrogen fades, it will require more clicks of rebound to get the same level of damping and when it's really bad, it will start cavetating (that sucking sound). Most people don't do anything with their rear shocks until it's completely blown or making the sucking sounds. Damping performance was probably degraded long before but they may not have noticed because it's more subtle. The overhaul is recommend annually for peak performance though.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Homebrew said:
Well you probably should have done the air sleeve service a couple times now. I usually do mine every 6 months or so. I haven't done it this year because I can't get the damn AVA sleeve off (I need a better strap wrench). So if you don't do the air sleeve maintenance, your lube can dry up and the seals will get sticky. The oil around the schrader valve is probably a slight leak from the seal around the schrader or just a bit of oil blowing out when you attach/remove the shock pump. If it doesn't leak air, I would suspect the latter.

Now, the air sleeve is separate from the major overhaul that needs to be done about once a year to maintain damping performance. This is factory (PUSH or Fox) maintenance that includes changing the damping oil and internal seals and recharging the nitrogen in the damping chamber as well as the full air sleeve maintenance with new air seals. It is almost impossible for the shock to have any damping at all if it were leaking damping oil. If you had a blown shock, you would know it.

As the nitrogen fades, it will require more clicks of rebound to get the same level of damping and when it's really bad, it will start cavetating (that sucking sound). Most people don't do anything with their rear shocks until it's completely blown or making the sucking sounds. Damping performance was probably degraded long before but they may not have noticed because it's more subtle. The overhaul is recommend annually for peak performance though.
No air loss and damping seems OK. Because I am constantly changing the rebound click setting based on terrain and ambient temp when I ride, I don’t know where I used to have it set when the shock was just Push'd. I generally ride 6 to 10 clicks out from the full in on the rebound knob. Still ride at 135 to 145psi (also based on terrain and temp) on the shock main air chamber pressure (my ride weight 155 to 160llbs). That sucking sound, I may have heard it but it could be a normal compression and rebound sound. I think I do notice it on the big hit but it's not very loud. I guess I could just send the shock out to PUSH for an overhaul but I don't want to send it out unless it's justifiable. Air sleeve maintenance is part of PUSH's shock overhaul? Sounds like that is something that I need to have it done based on the length of time I owned the shock. What is actually changed or done on air sleeve maintenance?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Homebrew summed it up nicely.

The shock's performance is degradating by the day due to slow loss of nitrogen. Throw in loss of oil viscosity and a few other factors and you have your answer.

1 year service intervals are recommended by both PUSH & Fox. What you choose to do is up to you. It's analagous to the 3,000mile/3 month recommended car oil change.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
What is actually changed or done on air sleeve maintenance?
It's basically unscrew the air sleeve, wipe everything clean of old oil/grease and relube with Float Fluid (or equivalent). If you've waited to long or are leaking, you may want to replace the seals as well while you're in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts