Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking of getting the Push Industries mod done on the Float R shock on my Kona Dawg. One thing that's holding me back is that my friend keeps telling me that any kind of SPV setup will kill the small bump performance (he bases this on his experience of going from a Santa Cruz Bullit with no SPV to a Heckler with a 5th Element SPV shock).

Can anyone with a similar set up to mine elaborate on this? Would the bike feel less plush when going over small stutter bumps and the like if I got the Push mod?

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Warthog said:
I'm seriously thinking of getting the Push Industries mod done on the Float R shock on my Kona Dawg. One thing that's holding me back is that my friend keeps telling me that any kind of SPV setup will kill the small bump performance (he bases this on his experience of going from a Santa Cruz Bullit with no SPV to a Heckler with a 5th Element SPV shock).

Can anyone with a similar set up to mine elaborate on this? Would the bike feel less plush when going over small stutter bumps and the like if I got the Push mod?
I think my PUSHed Float is better at small bump compliance than it was stock. I haven't ridden a 5th element, but my PUSHed Float is better all around than in stock form. The platform on mine isn't noticeable like it is on a Specialized Epic brain shock either, which I like.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
5th Element's platform is very aggressive and more on/off than Push. The Push modified shock 'platform' is very transparent and does its job without messing with small bump sensitivity.

I agree with JDub in that my Pushed Vanilla RC is better on small bumps than my non-Propedal Fox Vanilla RC ever was. Supposedly, this is because Push uses higher quality seals that have less friction(?).

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Just did it

I have a 2000 Float R shock on an '00 loco moto. Never did any maintenance on it in 3 1/2 seasons. This year I started hearing gurgling sounds when I first started a ride that went away after several cycles of the shock's travel. Nebulization, I believe. Since it was time to do something anyway, I mailed it to PUSH for the newest, fullest stable platform treatment. $159. The straight rebuild is $100. I got the shock back quickly with a little baggie of all the replaced parts (mostly o-rings and flexible shim-washers).

I have only ridden in thrash mode 2 X, and cannot really notice any difference in the ride. It was always a plush ride, more plush than my Z-1 fork. (I weigh 165, 6'1). When I am pedaling/climbing and watch the slight shock motion through its sag, (I wouldn't call it bob) I can see the shock piston moving about 3/8-1/2 inch. Same behavior as before with the stock OEM. I have not experimented with different settings yet, but I seems all the same to me. I trust that somewhere, deep inside the shock, I am or will get better ride performance.

I would say that unless your shock is due for maintenance, to wait.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr Magoo said:
I would say that unless your shock is due for maintenance, to wait.
Well, it's almost 2 years old, I ride 3-4 times a week, and I never have done a bit of maintenance to it, so I figure maybe it's time (I think they recommend servicing them in some way at least once a year).

It's interesting that some people seem to get no SPV effect from the Pushed shock. In all the research I've done, that seems to be the main complaint (not that there are many complaints, but when there are, that's the one that I've usually seen posted)

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Warthog said:
Well, it's almost 2 years old, I ride 3-4 times a week, and I never have done a bit of maintenance to it, so I figure maybe it's time (I think they recommend servicing them in some way at least once a year).

It's interesting that some people seem to get no SPV effect from the Pushed shock. In all the research I've done, that seems to be the main complaint (not that there are many complaints, but when there are, that's the one that I've usually seen posted)
The SPV effect is pretty subtle, but that is OK with me. My bike was a bob-monster pre-PUSH, and still has a tiny bit of motion in the shock but it is much improved now. I don't mind giving up a tiny bit of efficiency for a very active ride, but I'm not a XC Racer either.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
PUSH can give you as much or as little platform as you like. They valve it based on your answers to their questionaaire. Want more platform? Send it back to them & they'll redo it on their buck.
Personally, I like a very light platform. Just enough to prevent more than a little bob but not enough that it's going to interfere with transition to fully active mode. The guys are PUSH are pretty cracker-jack at finding that balance.

I'm also of the opinion that the platform is the least important part of the PUSH service, particularly for bikes with 4" of travel or less. The biggest benefit is dramatically improved rebound & compression damping which translates into smoother tracking of the terrain and better control.

Magoo....you might want to keep in mind that you keep your rebound knob in the slowest position. That's your preference & it's perfectly OK, but it's generally not what most people like and that might be influencing your opinion of the PUSH mod. Most folks like rebound about halfway.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Could be a long wait

Warthog said:
Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll be giving them a call this summer. What's their typical turnaround time these days?
They're in the process of moving from CA to CO. They were backed up prior to the move and I doubt it's gotten any better. Call them and see where things stand. FWIW, I had my Vanilla done back in February and it was about 2 weeks door to door. Very much worth the time and money spent.

Clyde

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Warthog said:
(he bases this on his experience of going from a Santa Cruz Bullit with no SPV to a Heckler with a 5th Element SPV shock).
Are you sure part of his perception wasn't affected by losing 2" of travel?

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Pogo stick

Magoo....you might want to keep in mind that you keep your rebound knob in the slowest position. That's your preference & it's perfectly OK, but it's generally not what most people like and that might be influencing your opinion of the PUSH mod. Most folks like rebound about halfway.

I'll have to re-try a faster rebound setting to see what I have been missing.

·
Pudgy Old Guy
536 Posts
I bought a...

new Float R from them set up to my specs and it was expensive as heck but one of the best upgrades I have ever made. It works better in every way from feeling smoother on small bumps to handling big hits better. They didn't dial in much platform since it was for a Blur.

·
Registered
697 Posts
A friend suggested that I buy a Float on Ebay and have it Pushed for my Saber, but the prices they get for them are ridiculous. Does Push offer complete shocks and if so how much? Do they offer any with platform adjustability or are they all set at the factory?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Mr Magoo said:
I'll have to re-try a faster rebound setting to see what I have been missing.
Indeed. This is one of the best things I noticed about my PUSH'ed fox Float R. The rebound damping was much more controlled without having to run the adjustment turned way in. It tracked over stutter bumps and whoops much better without packing up like it would with the rebound set too tight. Experiment with it. I run 3-4 clicks out from full closed.

Also because of the slight platform and better compression damping control, (and the AVA sleeve I suspect) I can run less air pressure without it sagging too much or getting wallowy.....thus giving me better small bump compliance. It's all good.

If I had one small complaint (and I should have sent it back to get this addressed when I first got it last July) it's with medium sized, squared-edged rocks, roots while rolling slow in technical terrain (Think Tahoe TRT and Bootleg canyon). The suspension seems to stall for just a split second before reacting. Too high of platform break-away threshold for my liking I suspect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.