Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Pushed Fox Float R with the AVA sleeve back from Push for my 04 Burner. It was a non-Propedal Float R before. For reference I'm about 210lbs and ride on very rocky XC trails. (Austin, TX)

#1: Push did a great job on customer service, very quick turnaround. The only fly in the ointment was that there was no setup information on the shock. Considering how they altered the internals they should have included a simple setup suggestions sheet, or put one on their web page, but it's not a big deal.

#2: Push replaced not only the internals, but also all the seals and eyelet bushings, so it's a full rebuild in addition to the damping upgrade. Overall a great deal for $135. (The Fox rebuild alone is $70)

#3: The stable platform is nice. The bike climbs noticably better. I honestly can't imagine a hardtail doing better on any kind of bumpy climb. However, since I've been riding FS for so long, I got used to that little bit of bob and counted on it to keep my traction going, so I actually ended up scratching out on some climbs that I usually didn't have a problem with. This means I need to refine my skill a little, but the tradeoff is worth it, and the bike is more fun to climb on now.

#4: I can't compare it to a ProPedal because I haven't ridden one, but I do get the feeling that my rebound knob isn't just for rebound anymore, as it felt almost as if it was adjusting the stable platform threashold, as it seems that I can really tweek that. I don't have enough time on it to know for sure, but this is a seat of the pants feel. One thing is for sure, adjusting the rebound knob changes the shock more significantly that it did before.

#5: Overall damping isn't a big change, perhaps slightly better, but the one thing I did notice was that the shock is much more progressive at the end of it's travel, making it harder to bottom. Or perhaps it's more linear towards the end, but either way I never got the feeling that I was ever topping the shock out. Not in terms of a hard clunk, but just that feeling that you're out of travel all of the sudden, the new shock doesn't have it.

#6: With the stable platform, the shock does seem just a little less sensitive to small bumps, but not much, and again, well worth the tradeoff. I'm anxious to take the bike out on long climbs up on Colorado as that is where this shock will probably really shine.

James

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Just a few post-Push setup tips. You should set the air pressure by sag just like before. You will probably require less pressure to get the same sag. Recommended sag is about 25% (equates to 3/8" on your shock). The rebound knob doesn't affect the platform, only slow speed damping. You want to set the rebound knob as slow as you need to keep from getting bounced off the bike on bigger hits. The high speed damping is preset internally so you can crank up the slow speed rebound without worrying about the shock packing up in the chatter. This separation give you no-compromise damping performance. The Push zero-bleed piston bolt pushes more of the oil flow through the main valving for much more controlled response. The AVA can adjust how progressive you want the shock. The default setting is at max volume and will be more linear. Dial it in to add some more ramp up if needed.

I agree they should do a nice detailed write up on specifics of the upgrades and include setup recommendations. They are great over the phone or email though. You might try to contact them directly for yourself. See the "Contact" button on:

http://www.pushindustries.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts