Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to measure sag but am curious as to what anybody's experience is with the above-mentioned shock on an 04 X5. Relative to body weight, how much PSI? I always wonder when I try to set mine up if I really have 25% sag or not.....multiple measures for me dont always yield the same length so I figured I would ask what folks are finding optimal. Plus, maybe 25% sag (or whatever percentage) is not optimal on my bike with this particular shock configuration.

cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
PUSH'd Float RL

FoShizzle said:
I know how to measure sag but am curious as to what anybody's experience is with the above-mentioned shock on an 04 X5. Relative to body weight, how much PSI? I always wonder when I try to set mine up if I really have 25% sag or not.....multiple measures for me dont always yield the same length so I figured I would ask what folks are finding optimal. Plus, maybe 25% sag (or whatever percentage) is not optimal on my bike with this particular shock configuration.

cheers
Had a PUSH'd Float RL on the Burner I sold and was running 80-85% psi relative to body weight (180-185psi) to get around 25% sag and that was my optimal setup. With my PUSH'd RP3 on my X-5 I run about 90% to get the 25% sag.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks antman.

i am so pathetic that i have only ridden the X5 once is the past few months.....last time was in October.

In October I had it PUSHed using the "trail" tune specs and wanted it with a little more platform. I have no idea if it was set up optimal for that ride since that was pretty much the only ride on the bikes with the Float but I do remember it ended up being darn close to 90-100% of body weight.

Now with the "XC" setting that I asked PUSH to do I will be curious if that same relative setting works.....would different PUSH tuning specs for the same shock on the same bike impact the relative PSI one would use?....anyone.....Squeaky Wheel?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Diff PSI

In October I had it PUSHed using the "trail" tune specs and wanted it with a little more platform. I have no idea if it was set up optimal for that ride since that was pretty much the only ride on the bikes with the Float but I do remember it ended up being darn close to 90-100% of body weight.

Now with the "XC" setting that I asked PUSH to do I will be curious if that same relative setting works.....would different PUSH tuning specs for the same shock on the same bike impact the relative PSI one would use?....anyone.....Squeaky Wheel?[/QUOTE]

Yo Fo,

That may be right. My Float was set for XC and the RP3 is for trail.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
antman said:
Yo Fo,

That may be right. My Float was set for XC and the RP3 is for trail.
cool....so then it sounds like your Float is tuned the same as mine is now that I have it re-tuned to "XC"....I will try it with body weight and go from there. will try to take it out tomorrow morning.

cheers

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Last year I had a Fox Float RL Pushed. Before I had used about 90% of body weight. After Pushing it only needed about 75% for the same sag. My RP3 is still stock, but I have that Float RL and may try it on the X-5 sometime.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,807 Posts
FoShizzle,

Have you dialed in the Float? I'm running a Swinger 3 way on my 04 X-5......well I should say that's what it has on it.....it's still a rolling chassis without brakes, shifters, cranks, and derailluers. I may buy a pushed float or a used AVA once I get it rolling. Okay, I have a float RL on my Sugar 2+ which I have it set at 75% of my body weight (150 PSI). It's pretty plush through 3.5" of travel then the last 0.6" it packed. But that's mostly due to an outdated bushing suspension design.

I would like to ask the group about stem length. I'm running a 120 mm 5 deg rise Thompson stem on a 21" 2004 X-5. It seems a little short in the top tube. I've been riding a Sugar for the last five years so I have grown use to the gensis geometry. The X-5 has a 24.68" top tube verses a 25.4" on the Sugar. I realize they are totally different bikes thus different geometry requirements but should I get a 130 mm stem or a set back seat post or just get use to the feeling of being right on top of things.

FoShizzle said:
cool....so then it sounds like your Float is tuned the same as mine is now that I have it re-tuned to "XC"....I will try it with body weight and go from there. will try to take it out tomorrow morning.

cheers

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
FoShizzle,

Have you dialed in the Float? I'm running a Swinger 3 way on my 04 X-5......well I should say that's what it has on it.....it's still a rolling chassis without brakes, shifters, cranks, and derailluers. I may buy a pushed float or a used AVA once I get it rolling. Okay, I have a float RL on my Sugar 2+ which I have it set at 75% of my body weight (150 PSI). It's pretty plush through 3.5" of travel then the last 0.6" it packed. But that's mostly due to an outdated bushing suspension design.

I would like to ask the group about stem length. I'm running a 120 mm 5 deg rise Thompson stem on a 21" 2004 X-5. It seems a little short in the top tube. I've been riding a Sugar for the last five years so I have grown use to the gensis geometry. The X-5 has a 24.68" top tube verses a 25.4" on the Sugar. I realize they are totally different bikes thus different geometry requirements but should I get a 130 mm stem or a set back seat post or just get use to the feeling of being right on top of things.
Only have the one ride on my new shock....I ran it 95% of my body weight and it felt great. Not even sure i will fuss with it to be honest but may try big changes from the 95% I started with (i.e., +/= 25%) to see if I can detect tangible differences.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
PUSHed Float !

Now I have a 05 Float R not getting much use since replacing it with a 06 PUSHed RP3 with trail mods ! I think of it as a spare in case I have to send my RP3 in for service or for an emergency need of a replacement ! Anyway, I wonder if its worth sending it in to PUSH for XC mods ( abit stiffer ride) ? Geeze if I had adj 4 to 5" rockers I could have them do mods for 4" travel and have a shock for both travel settings ! In reality I don't see a real desire to go to 4" travel rockers since I'm more a trail rider than racer ! Just thinking out loud becuase the Ventana board is soooooo slowwwww ! :( TIG.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Say Paddlefoot!

paddlefoot64 said:
I haven't tried the Float RC on the X-5 yet. I like the '06 RP3 pretty well. It is nice to have a shock to use in case the RP3 gets stuck down.
Have you ever sent any of your rear Fox shocks to PUSH for mods ? I can only tell you that my PUSHed RP3 ( never had a stock one) is much better than the my stock Float R ! This could be my weight 215lbs and that stock Fox shocks may be tuned to work better for average riders (160 to175lbs ?) , I don't know but I'm sold on PUSH mods at least for air shocks ! TIG. P.S. Make that for coil shocks as well at least Fox ones ! :D

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
They have done two rear shocks and one fork, so far, for me. My weight is around 200 with gear. The Float Itch Switch (Spesh) and Float RC were unrideable, IMHO, until they were Pushed. (they bobbed like crazy!) The RP3 seems pretty good stock. Might Push it this winter. The Float Itch Switch and Float RC required less air after Pushing to maintain similar sag.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Thought about you Fo, this evening, when I noticed a small town in Alabama named Fosheeton. I'm sure it's named after you. Probably lot's of bling there.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Hmmm.............

FoShizzle said:
yeah....I may have to buy a Turner after all......
You sound just like my brother who is a darn homer ! :D Actually the new anodized blue 5 spot looks sweet oh no what am I saying !

Paddlefoot! Felt the same, my PUSHed RP3 is a much better shock ! I thought about getting the XC mods done to my Float R to see what its like or sell it! TIG.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TIGMAN said:
You sound just like my brother who is a darn homer ! :D Actually the new anodized blue 5 spot looks sweet oh no what am I saying !

Paddlefoot! Felt the same, my PUSHed RP3 is a much better shock ! I thought about getting the XC mods done to my Float R to see what its like or sell it! TIG.
nah....i would never get a turner. if i were a homer it would be far less fun to heckle the Homers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.