Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just trying to get some different opinions on the choice I'm soon going to be making. I'm split between grabbing a new Van RC2 and having it PUSH'd, or a Lyrik DH coil. Heard/read a lot of good things about the Lyrik, but I've ridden a few Van RC2s and they were buttery smooth as well, without the PUSH.

Does anybody have any experience on both forks that could talk about their strengths and weaknesses?

·
Registered
533 Posts
You could also get the Van RC2 and ride it until you can figure out if it needs to be pushed. Fox's Van RC2 are usually good out of the box considering you have the right spring for your weight AND if it has enough semi-bath oil in its legs.

·
Crash Test Dummy
62 Posts
I've ridden a Lyrik coil. They are super plush and track the terrain extremely well. A bit heavy but for down hill that hardly matters. I rode a Lyrik on a Kona Stinky and it tamed the roughest terrain and handled big drops like they were nothing. Great fork.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Not sure what kind of riding you do, but the Lyrik is around 2/3 of a pound lighter (than the Van 180mm). I ended up going with the Lyrik RC2DH coil- the thing is absolutely amazing for aggressive trail riding and some freeride. I've heard good things about the Van as well, but the Lyrik coil w/ mission control Dh damper gets a 10/10 from me. I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Sogreen said:
Hi,
I'm about to buy a coil fork and the Lyrik RC2DH has my preference.
But I can't find any information on how to preload the coil.
No visible knob.
Can you help please?
Thx in advance ;)
You don't. The RC2DH will come with Soft/Medium/Firm springs, which allow you to tune for your weight. There are also X-Soft and X-firm available.

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
http://www.mountainbikes.net/mtbikes/produkt.cfm?pnr=19253&ctry=1&za=1&lc=1&curcd=1&cid=110424031248

Something like this I assume (first google hit). I thought they even recommend having at least one installed... Got a pair from a friend who is a RS repracentative and a great suspension tuner. They stack togeather and give nice tunability, IMO just changing springs wont get you close enough to a perfect set up.

Note, these do not work with U-Turn models, just fixed length coil.

Edit: second google hit is in the US

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/rock-shox-coil-spring-preload-spacers-domain-lyrik-pr-13416.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
dropadrop said:
http://www.mountainbikes.net/mtbikes/produkt.cfm?pnr=19253&ctry=1&za=1&lc=1&curcd=1&cid=110424031248

Something like this I assume (first google hit). I thought they even recommend having at least one installed... Got a pair from a friend who is a RS repracentative and a great suspension tuner. They stack togeather and give nice tunability, IMO just changing springs wont get you close enough to a perfect set up.

Note, these do not work with U-Turn models, just fixed length coil.

Edit: second google hit is in the US

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/rock-shox-coil-spring-preload-spacers-domain-lyrik-pr-13416.html
Thanks.
I could not believe it was not possible to preload the coil.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The BUZZ is the word.

You can't go wrong with either fork performance wise. I have spent considerable time on each (2011 models).

Now what you can do to both or ANY fork for that matter is get a tub of Buzzy's Slick Honey grease and put a light film over the stanchions prior to riding. The difference is very significant, plus it works great for dropper posts in the same manner. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Chromagftw said:
You can't go wrong with either fork performance wise. I have spent considerable time on each (2011 models).

Now what you can do to both or ANY fork for that matter is get a tub of Buzzy's Slick Honey grease and put a light film over the stanchions prior to riding. The difference is very significant, plus it works great for dropper posts in the same manner. :thumbsup:
I just completed a banshee rune build last week and using a 2011 lyrik RC2DH coil. I'll try the slick honey on the stanchions. It definitely helped with the dropper post. My only concern would be dust sticking to the stanchions?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not a worry, there will be some affinity during your ride session but nothing that doesn't come right off with a few swipes. It's very non viscous so this is easy to do post ride if you choose.

What I found useful was to smear some at the seal/stanchion interface and pump the fork 3-4 times to get an even spread. I had my doubts when I was introduced to it initially but after the 1st ride, i was sold - hook, line and sinker.

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I agree both will serve you well, recently have had a Van RC2 and Lyrik coil. Both forks required opening up and lubing. Neither had enough oil in the lowers, but the Van was almost dry while the Lyrik had some...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.