Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am posting this here because some of you locals seem to know the PUSH guys really well. I have a TALAS that needs a rebuild. PUSH is $60-$100 more than FOX for the rebuild. What do I get for that extra $$$? I have always been happy with the stock performance.

-Jason

·
Registered
938 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Ok I am posting this here because some of you locals seem to know the PUSH guys really well. I have a TALAS that needs a rebuild. PUSH is $60-$100 more than FOX for the rebuild. What do I get for that extra $$$? I have always been happy with the stock performance.

-Jason
What model? If you have the rlc, it costs a lot less to get the push upgrade than if you have an r or rl. That will have to factor in to your calculation. Anyway, even if you don't want their upgrade, you can send your fork to push just to get the normal talas service. I don't think that that will cost much more (if at all) than sending it to Fox for the talas service. You'll definitely get the fork back quicker if you send it to push.

I went from a talas 125 rl to the push rlc. It's good, but can I say that it's better than before? Beats me. I'd been riding the fork for several months when it needed the talas cartridge serviced badly, and I was off the bike for 3-4 months anyway when it was serviced, so it's hard to say how different the fork feels. It's definitely better than when I sent it in, but that could just be because the talas cartridge is working better now.

Everyone's going to tell you to get the push upgrade. You might as well just cave in and do it. I'm happy enough, although I gotta say, I don't really like the push stickers (edit: Ha! Didn't see JSD's response).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Push It

Push It
Push It Real Good
:band:

You get custom tuning based on your frame, your riding style, and weight.

You get to support a local business.

You will get your forks and shocks back A LOT faster than you will from Fox.

You can drop off your things in person and see where the magic happens.

You can meet some cool people.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
TheCycologist said:
Push It

Very compelling arguments.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fat Elvis said:
What model? If you have the rlc, it costs a lot less to get the push upgrade than if you have an r or rl. That will have to factor in to your calculation. Anyway, even if you don't want their upgrade, you can send your fork to push just to get the normal talas service. I don't think that that will cost much more (if at all) than sending it to Fox for the talas service. You'll definitely get the fork back quicker if you send it to push.

I went from a talas 125 rl to the push rlc. It's good, but can I say that it's better than before? Beats me. I'd been riding the fork for several months when it needed the talas cartridge serviced badly, and I was off the bike for 3-4 months anyway when it was serviced, so it's hard to say how different the fork feels. It's definitely better than when I sent it in, but that could just be because the talas cartridge is working better now.

Everyone's going to tell you to get the push upgrade. You might as well just cave in and do it. I'm happy enough, although I gotta say, I don't really like the push stickers (edit: Ha! Didn't see JSD's response).
RL model with no real desire to go RLC. Ok a slight desire but not at that price point. I guess I don't get how it is custom tuned to my weight, riding style, and bike. I gues I could *gasp* give them a call and see what is up.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
FrontRanger said:
RL model with no real desire to go RLC. Ok a slight desire but not at that price point. I guess I don't get how it is custom tuned to my weight, riding style, and bike. I gues I could *gasp* give them a call and see what is up.
If you click on the order now button a sheet comes up to fill out asking your weight and riding style, along with frame info. I think Darren uses this to figure it all out for you.

·
Registered
938 Posts
FrontRanger said:
If you're not sure, I think I'd just get the talas serviced (along with new seals and an oil change, etc.). If I'm remembering correctly, it's ~$260 to get the full upgrage from rl to push rlc. I don't really think that having the fork tuned to your weight makes as big a difference as having a rear shock tuned to your weight and riding preferences. Maybe a tiny bit, but I would say that slight variations in front tire pressures, for instance, will make a bigger difference. Just my opinion, and I'm cheap and it's not worth much.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've actually heard some mixed reports about Push. My wrenching buddy has been telling me that he's seeing more and more push forks in the shop for rebuilds. I'm so happy with my Talas as is that if I ever had problems I'd just rebuild it to original condition.

Opinions are like asses, though, and we all got 'em.:)

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
I'm not a huge geek when it comes to suspension, and quite honestly my eyes glazed over when the guy at Push started to explain why they are better than Fox, but I can tell you that I would spring the extra cash for Push again based solely on their customer service - nevermind the increased longevity / ride quality. I sent a rear shock into them this time last year (immediately before Bootleg) - I sent the shock on Weds, and called them on Friday to get an ETA since I was leaving for BC the next week - I had the shock in hand Saturday morning - 4 days from door to door. Do it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have these people talked to Push if there has been a problem after a rebuild? Just curious because Push has an excellent warranty on their work and they would certainly take care of anyone who had a problem after their services.

We have sent a huge number of our clients suspension components down to Push for service and have had only one that had to go back in - and that was because of a bizarre factory defect that no one had ever seen before. The guys down at Push wouldn't give up on it, though, they dug deeper until they figured out what was going on.

All I know is that I could tell a huge difference on my Titus after Push service and have gotten the same feedback from our clients.

Oh, and did I mention that you support a locally owned business and will get your stuff back A LOT faster?

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
FrontRanger said:

-Jason
I got my TALAS RLC shocked worked on by PUSH, and it was noticeably better than stock. The small bumps were soaked up much better, and it also seemed to resist bottoming a bit better.

The thing that was great to me was that they found some things that were wrong from the factory (part was installed upside down). They got the warranty parts from Fox and installed them for me at no charge, which I thought was above and beyond. Being from a motocross background and knowing I'm not the average 5'8" 150lb person, the custom suspension tuning is a real attraction for me. I think the rear shock tuning is the most important (just got my 575 RP3 PUSH'd but haven't ridden it yet), but I will be sending my Pike their way when the RockShox mods become available.

They are a great bunch of guys with much quicker turnaround times, so to me even if the performance was the same, I'd take it to them anyway.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
TheCycologist said:
Push It
Push It Real Good
:band:

Those were the points that sold me. Oh yeah, the party too. Anyone know if there's going to one this year? Oh yeah, the fork (Float RLC) and shock (Float AVA RL) came back within a week and the performance was/is much better than stock

·
Registered
66 Posts
Peel the onion back one layer !

I've actually heard some mixed reports about Push. My wrenching buddy has been telling me that he's seeing more and more push forks in the shop for rebuilds. I'm so happy with my Talas as is that if I ever had problems I'd just rebuild it to original condition.
My opinion on this is that people who PUSH there shocks are harder on their equipment, ride more than your average mountain biker. Therefore you might just see this... IMHO

·
Registered
914 Posts
FrontRanger said:
I have always been happy with the stock performance.

-Jason
Then you probably wouldn't understand that there is a whole new realm of performance when it comes to shock tuning, I would definitly recommend push

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The big difference is the seal system that we use as well as techniques that we use for assembling and bushing tolerance. I'd be happy to go over the details with you over the phone, or as you've read, you're always welcome to swing by our facility to discuss your options.

Anyone know if there's going to one this year?
Bigger and better...keep an eye out in May again. I'll be sure to post.

My wrenching buddy has been telling me that he's seeing more and more push forks in the shop for rebuilds
If that's the case, they sure aren't contacting us with this info. We completely stand behind our products and services and would be happy to take care of these customers if that was the case. I would imagine that most people who payed for our services would want us to take care of a problem rather than paying again to have someone else rebuild it.

Also, I would be curious to how they're re-sealing the forks during their rebuilds seeing how all forks get re-machined at our facility and fitted with a different seal system than stock?

Darren

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah, that was my thought, too. If I had a problem with something you guys did for me, I sure wouldn't be taking it to the LBS. I've never heard anything but good about your service, so I was a little confused by why that would be happening.

Anyway, no bad review intended.:)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
PUSHIND said:
Bigger and better...keep an eye out in May again. I'll be sure to post.

Darren
Hope the snow is gone by then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.