Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Push vs DHX

752 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Cable0guy 
#1 ·
I'm debating between ordering a DHX 5.0 or pushing my Van-r. I'm 150 Lbs and do freeride and some downhill.

#9 ·
Pushing your Van R will be half the cost of a new DHXc. Are you a set it and forget it type? Personally, I don't see the need for 15 clicks or whatever of propedal adjustment and the pushed mod apparently negates the need for a boost valve (which the DHX has). I can't comment on the feel of the stock Van R (I bought the shock directly from Push) but compared to a pushed Float R: no more mid-stroke wallow, far less frequent pedal strikes on rocks during seated climbing, and little or no bottom out on big hits. Hope that helps.

#10 ·
Mr.P said:
If I remember correctly, The Pushed Van R would be more active than even a Pushed DHX for the same bike/rider/etc. So a Push Van should be significantly better than a stock DHX. I think the difference is the PP implementation.

Chat with Push.

P
You really think so? I have a PUSHed RP3 on my AM bike (05 Reign 2) and a DHX 5.0 on my DH bike (05 Norco Shore) and I think the DHX is miles ahead of the small bump sensitivity on the RP3. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here but I think the performance of the DHX out of the box is already so damn impressive I can't see how PUSH could make a Vanilla feel "significantly better".

My uneducated recommendation to the OP would be to get a DHX 5.0 and get the adjustability over the set-it and forget-it Vanilla treatment. I like to play with my settings and specifically for the DHX I use the bottom out adjustment quite a bit depending on where I'm riding. Pro-pedal and boost valve not so important once you get them dialed but the bottom out makes a huge difference when swapping from Freeride-ish trails to pure Downhill speed runs.

#11 ·
Mr.P said:
If I remember correctly, The Pushed Van R would be more active than even a Pushed DHX for the same bike/rider/etc. So a Push Van should be significantly better than a stock DHX. I think the difference is the PP implementation.

Chat with Push.

P
You do remember correctly. I spoke with the guys over at push and almost bought a Van to PUSH but ended up with a frame that came with the DHX (ended up getting that PUSHd eventually).

Your best bet is to call them.

#12 ·
Clutchman83 said:
You really think so? I have a PUSHed RP3 on my AM bike (05 Reign 2) and a DHX 5.0 on my DH bike (05 Norco Shore) and I think the DHX is miles ahead of the small bump sensitivity on the RP3. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here but I think the performance of the DHX out of the box is already so damn impressive I can't see how PUSH could make a Vanilla feel "significantly better".

My uneducated recommendation to the OP would be to get a DHX 5.0 and get the adjustability over the set-it and forget-it Vanilla treatment. I like to play with my settings and specifically for the DHX I use the bottom out adjustment quite a bit depending on where I'm riding. Pro-pedal and boost valve not so important once you get them dialed but the bottom out makes a huge difference when swapping from Freeride-ish trails to pure Downhill speed runs.
The OP is talking about the Van R. The Vanilla is a different shock.

#15 ·
I had a Pushed 2006 DHX, and have a 2009 non-Pushed DHX, and both perform well. I think Fox keeps improving their products each year. If I were you, I would either get a new one and use it as is, or get a used DHX and get it Pushed if it doesn't perform to your satisfaction. Or go all out and get a Cane Creek Double Barrel, so you can do your own tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.