Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vanilla rc coil on my gemini blew up the other day, what would be the difference between the "factory race compression" PUSH upgrade or the PUSH internal platform pedal upgrade?

It's an 02 vanilla rc so it has no stock platform, I looked around and it sounds like the factory race upgrade gives high speed initial rebound with a progressively slower rebound into the travel. Is the "factory race compression" better for pure gravity riding? While the platform would be better for typical all mountain?

Then again the site says the factory race compression includes all upgrades up to and including the compression upgrade (this would include the platform setting?)

Thoughts are appreciated, Jon

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hmmm...I wasn't aware of the "platform" issue when I got my '02 RC PUSH'd with the Race System setup. Mine is on a Nomad, so no platform was needed. Mine certainly doesn't feel like there's any notable platform in there, but then I obviously won't swear to exactly what was done. I just know it works extemely well on my Nomad. I got mine done this past spring, so it hasn't been long. I've been tempted to swap out the eyelet spacers and see how it works on the Bullit...much like your Gemini...but I've been too lazy.

I originally got my 8.5 X 2.5 RC for one of my Bullits, but the thing absolutely sucked on the Bullit IMO...at least when trying to pedal hard or climb...mush city. Of course, the shock is a different animal after the PUSH mod, but my only experience has been on the Nomad. I tend to think the Bullit and Gemini benefit from a platform shock if you're using the bike for any trail application, but maybe not for everbody.

I'm guessing the PUSH platform may be a form of or an exact copy of Fox Propedal, but I really don't know.

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
low-speed compression damping and pedal-platform damping are very related brothers, but I *believe* that they are different enough to have a different feel.

The fact that a lot of shock vendors have both as options, and that apparently the go-big and dh-race-crowd go for compression control instead of pedal-platform supports this.

I'd agree though, that with your single-pivot machine a pedal-platform circuit could help a lot ... if you don't exclusively go downhill that is. If your game is only DH then I'd say go with compression adjustment only.

While the push pedal-platform damping is in theory identical to fox propedal, I'd bet bet they are at least somewhat different in behavior and feel (just like Fox ProPedal vs Manitou SPV vs Curnutt vs RockShox Mission Control are all different ... if I got the names right).

Contacting push directly may yield more information though, I would be surprised if they don't have some kind of answer.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Factory race will get you whatever you want I'd imagine. If you didn't want a platform they don't need to put it in. Specifically the "Race" option changes the valve in the reservoir. This gives you better control over low speed compression damping with the adjuster, and includes a "blow-off" to allow more low speed compression without causing spiking at high speed.

I don't know how the stock Vanilla RC propedal works so I can't comment on that. I could be wrong on the other stuff too but that's the info I've gathered. Ask the man Darren and I'm sure he'll give you the full scoop.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is just what PUSH tells me, "race" gives low speed compression control while retaining a high speed compression that is based on rider weight/bike leverage ratio. Propedal will also be included as a separate mechanism entirely...still curious to the mechanics of each though.
Some people seem to feel PUSH just slaps in a new shim/piston stack, seems to me they make old and new shocks better through research, devolopement, and engineering that a giant like Fox doesn't do (Fox makes and puts their money in truck/motocross suspension) bicycle suspension may not recieve bicycle specific R&D attention that Push has done.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Yeah, totally agree. PUSH sticks in some nice goodies along with the custom tuned shim stack.

The "race" valve is basically another shim stack with the compression bleed (the external adjuster) in the middle. With low speed damping the oil flows through the bleed and the shims stay closed. High speed causes the shims to blow open bypassing the bleed.

The PUSH propedal mod is basically some fancy shim work done to the compression stack on the main piston, along with the "zero bleed bolt."

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I've had Fox air shocks PUSHed

and I got a tour from Darren about what the changes he did inside actually entailed. He showed me the stock Fox parts and then the custom milled (by PUSH) parts that went in. He showed me exactly what it is that makes his parts superior to the Fox parts. I won't go into specifics (because I know I'd describe it incorrectly!) but I'm just saying there's a whole lot of new custom stuff that gets put in. The shock winds up looking like a Fox exterior but all custom PUSH stuff on the interior. You can't go wrong having them work on your shock (if they indeed do work on your specific shock).

·
School Bites
152 Posts
I have an RC Pushed race system and it's awesome. Plush, and smooth like butter. It's a great upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.