Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my PUSH upper pivot on my 5.5. What a difference. I was thinking it looked like a nice piece but at $120 it seemed it was just too much money. I then broke one of my lower pivot bolts. With that bolt broken I could see how much twist the upper pivot arms allowed. In my mind it looked like tying those pivot arms together would eliminate alot of the twisting force that goes through those bottom pivot bolts. I justified the purchase from a reliablitity standpoint more than handling. The PUSH link really tightens up the back end. It is very noticeable. We ride alot of sidehill cow trails and the difference is huge on anything off camber like that. The long bolt that I took out of the original pivot arms had a pretty decent bend in it as well. The PUSH pivot works as a sleeve supporting this bolt for most of it's distance. Reinforcing this bolt, combined with eliminating a large portion of twisting force should help extend the lifespan of both upper and lower pivot bolts, if not the handling difference is worth the price. I had a really hard time stepping up and paying $120 for that small part (eventhough it is beautifully made), but I am very glad I did.

Craig

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the justification Craig. I bought my PUSH upper link when I first got the 5.5 and although I read about the benefits you wrote about, it is nice to have the re-inforcement. I'll enjoy it more now.

-Aaron

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
Compatible with a 5th Element Air shock?

Does anyone know if this upper link can be used with a 5th Element shock. I've been looking for pics but everyone seems to be using either Fox RP3's or the Manitou's with the link.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Speak to Push.

Spidey-Lag said:
Does anyone know if this upper link can be used with a 5th Element shock. I've been looking for pics but everyone seems to be using either Fox RP3's or the Manitou's with the link.
You are right I've not seen any posts at all useing the 5th Element. Before I got my link for my Manitou 4-way, I called Push Industries to confirm that it fits. (Click on the link to get the phone number.) In fact the original link did not fit and had to be re-machined for the Manitou. Push will give you the information. If he is there, Darren Murphy usually answers the phone and he is very helpfull.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ronnie said:
You are right I've not seen any posts at all useing the 5th Element. Before I got my link for my Manitou 4-way, I called Push Industries to confirm that it fits. (Click on the link to get the phone number.) In fact the original link did not fit and had to be re-machined for the Manitou. Push will give you the information. If he is there, Darren Murphy usually answers the phone and he is very helpfull.

Ronnie.
When I had my PUSH link and RP3 fitted at TF Tuned, the guys tried a 5th Element just to see if it fitted. It did! Give them a ring just to confirm.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
spaeth said:
The long bolt that I took out of the original pivot arms had a pretty decent bend in it as well. Craig
There is another concern I have here. Generally, the cause for that bolt bending is a result of bottoming out due to insufficient air pressure in the shock. When the shock bottoms, the energy is transmitted directly to the bolt, causing the bolt to bend.

While I understand that you're blaming riding on off-camber turns for the cause of the bending, I'd really look at your shock's air pressure, as well as making sure you have enough compression damping. I often jump my 5.5, and some of the jumps I do are entering turns, so I actually land somewhat sideways. It's hard on the bike, but I didn't have any problems with that bolt before getting my Push link. I just did the link for overall rigidity.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty anal about keeping my shock pressures really close to the settings rocomended by Intense. I have never bottomed the shock. My friends quite often ridicule me for being wimpy when it comes to jumping or doing drops, so I don't believe that to be the issue. I do however like climbing alot. At 200lbs. I have some torque to exert as well and like riding technical rocky climbs where there is alot of explosive power. I think, (just a hypothesis), that this puts alot of twisting force through that back end. That is when the lower bolt broke anyway. I was cranking hard up a rock face and heard this loud "kwang" sound. I hoped it was just a rock but the shifting went hay wire and the back triangle was flexing funny. Thanks for the heads up though. I really don't think in my case jumping or bottoming is the issue. Time will tell.

Craig

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
spaeth,
I too am about 200 pounds. Since I mostly ride a singlespeed, I also apply a lot of torque to the bike - and that's where I really like the 5.5 - it's practically the closest thing I could ever have to a freeride singlespeed I'd want. Oddly enough, I never remember that I have a granny gear or even shifting for that matter, so I'm in the habit of simply getting out of the saddle and just cranking up steep hills.

Again, the bottoming out was just an FYI. It's good to see that you keep an eye on that. Most people forget that most air shocks need to be checked weekly - at least from what I've seen with my friends and others on the trail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.