Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, let's reopen the debate.

I'm a Shimano guy and used to push/pull shifting. Just bought an Epic with the Sram push/push and trying to weigh the benefits.

Feels weird to me now, but push/push technically leaves more fingers on the bar. That said, Shimano's push/pull allows you to keep the thumb and index in place for shifting.

What's your take on this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hands down SRAM all day long. I have used both and am so pro-SRAM that I may buy my next bike based on if it has SRAM or not. Strictly talking just the shifting method I prefer the SRAM push/push because I can still use the shifters while my fingers are on the brakes.

·
old and slow
403 Posts
I'm fine with either type. It may take me a minute or two to readjust when moving from one to the other, but they both work well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I find it easier to change up, whilst standing up, with Shimano. Have to reach under the bar with SRAM, which I don't find easy when leaning over the bars.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Prior to my '12 SJ Evo I'd never ridden SRAM....was a die hard "pull" shifter. Took me about three rides to completely break the habit. Now when I ride a Shimano kit I only push.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Personally--I like the shimano system way better.. I had a set of xo shifters and just never liked the push/push... Now i have a set of xt shifters and like that i can either push/push or push/pull -- and i like the option to double downshift for faster dumping of gears..

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't mind my Sram shifters, however, I love the new XTR stuff, being able to shift with my thumb and pointer finger is awesome

·
Registered
59 Posts
SRAM for sure fire me. Guess it's a matter of taste.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Shimano here. Always preferred Shimano. Plus you can push/push with Shimano if you so choose. I did initially (before Shimano did 2-way release) appreciate the push/push of SRAM for wrenching as it was easier to reach the release when stretching yourself to the arse end of the bike.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can someone explain the difference please
Sorry, I'll backtrack a bit.

I'm used to the standard Shimano shifting setup where you use your thumb and or index finger to shift. The thumb is a push by default, where the finger is effectively a "pull".

I just moved to a SRAM-based bike, where you push both buttons with your thumb.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I find it easier to change up, whilst standing up, with Shimano. Have to reach under the bar with SRAM, which I don't find easy when leaning over the bars.
If you still have some SRAM shifters on a bike of yours, try rotating the shifter forward for easier access to the lever and trigger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can and do pull with SRAM shifters when I think it will be easier than pushing like when standing. I tend to go back and forth based on where my fingers are at any given time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
SRAM for me. I one finger brake and always keep my finger on the brake so thumb push/push is natural. Even with my XX1 I can go from the hardest gear to the easiest in 2 pushes. I also like the crisp, precise feel of a SRAM shift compared to the quiet and smooth Shimano shift. Definitely just a personal preference.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
The clincher for me with SRAM was that I learned to 1-finger brake (using my index finger). Besides being a much better way to ride XC, this means that a "pull" type shift doesn't work well. So Push-type shifters are essential.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I spent 10 years on push/pull and in the last year got my first taste of SRAM shifting...ain't goin' back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts