Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pivot Mach 5 that was purchased last year. I'm looking to make it more cushy and am debating the 2010 Fox w/ boost valve as the 2010's come with. The other option which is cheaper is to send it to Push. I've had good luck with their forks but wondering if I'm better off buying the new shock from Pivot.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
dog said:
it's hard to beat a custom valved shock to your weight and preferences...
X2. Plus it's way cheaper. One question though. Do you have the large volume air can or the skinny lv can. If you have the low volume you might want push to upgrade to the larger volume air can. Makes all the difference in the plush department.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Interesting about the boost valve. I just got a new rp23 with boost valve and i am not liking it either compared to the large volume can on the old rp23.

Sounds like pushing the old shock might be the better way to go.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
seandm....you're perhaps the third person I've heard this from. Care to elaborate on what specifically you did not like about the new shock with the boost valve. I've ridden a Mach 5 09' with the HV canister for 9 months or so...and have test ridden a Mach 5 10' with the new shock.....the boost valve made it plusher for sure....but I also found some drawbacks for me personally....the caveat being that I only test rode it for 1.5 hrs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Maad,
I only have about 5 rides on it since replacing the shock 2 weeks ago and am still playing around with the PSI and rebound. Seems that the rebound is either too quick or too plush, no happy medium to soak up the bumps. I might try changing the pro pedal setting from 1 to 2 and see if that makes a big difference. I ride the Mcdowells mainly and really feel the difference coming down Prospector. I will say that the pedaling seems more efficient though, so maybe that is a plus.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
seandm said:
Maad,
I only have about 5 rides on it since replacing the shock 2 weeks ago and am still playing around with the PSI and rebound. Seems that the rebound is either too quick or too plush, no happy medium to soak up the bumps. I might try changing the pro pedal setting from 1 to 2 and see if that makes a big difference. I ride the Mcdowells mainly and really feel the difference coming down Prospector. I will say that the pedaling seems more efficient though, so maybe that is a plus.
So your'e saying over choppy stuff it bounces around too much?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yody,

I wouldn't say it bounces around too much, just not as plush as the HV can. When i first bought my mach 5, i had the stock can on it and this shock reminds me of how the stock one rode. The HV one just seemed to eat up everything in its path. Personally i just dont see what the Boost Valve is doing or how it changes anything from the stock can - seems more like marketing hype.

I will probably get my old HV can pushed and see how that rides compared to the boost valve, then post up on the ride. The mach 5 with the HV can was definitely a different beast thru the rocky stuff than it is with the boost valve at the moment.

·
Registered
687 Posts
ok, i think it is the rebound setting. i played around the psi and the rebound settings and seem to have found a middle of the road on being too bouncy or too snappy. I still believe the HV can was bettter than the boost valve.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I believe that when you send in the new boost-valve rp23's in to PUSH, they take out the boost valve! They do not have a high opinion of the new shocks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ok, i give up and am going to push the old rp23 as i cannot stand the boost valve. It seems that you have to constantly fidget with the sag and the rebound. Most rides are just too bouncy and choppy with the new boost valve.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yody -
Interesting that you found the RP23 on the mojo like a jackhammer. I had the mojo when it first came out and felt that it rode like a slinky with the rp23 shock on it. Way too plush and constantly bottomed out even with 30% sag. I immediately bought the pivot after my first ride and sold the mojo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.