Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Avalanche Tune: $200

Votes: 7 26.9%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help me decide the right custom tune. I have a Knolly Endorphin fitted with a 2009 DHXc 3.0. The shock is actually pretty harsh in its current state. I would go with the MX Tune, but I really hate adjusting suspension settings. I just want it to work well.

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
If the mx-tune settings make a big difference (like they should), it will be easier to set up. At least this is what I felt with the Elka after a line of (pushed) Fox shocks. The adjustments make so much difference that you really feel it packing up with too slow rebound / kicking the rear end up with too little rebound. You just try two extremes and then start incrementally moving from fast to slow...

With my previous shocks it was hard to tell the differece and I would get confused. With this one the sweet spot really is within a few clicks (depending on preference). I always used to say I hated tuning suspension, now it's fun (with the rear shock anyway).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Our new MX Tune is significantly different than the previous model and very simple to set up. We basically break it down to the gold dial which controls High Speed compression(Bump Force), and the blue knob which controls Low Speed compression(Handling).

With or new valve design we're able to preset the adjustment range for you based on your rider application giving you fine tuning control without having to worry about having to "set the knobs correctly".

Also, take into consideration that the technician who builds your shock will supply you with recommended starting settings and is available to answer your questions after you have some ride time. Yes, the actual technician.

Darren

ps....I've attached a pic of a customer shock that was built yesterday. Should have a happy home in just a couple of days! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, guess the MX-Tune wins.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll resurrect this thread with some riding impression; soon I hope.

·
Registered
158 Posts
PUSHIND said:
Our new MX Tune is significantly different than the previous model and very simple to set up. We basically break it down to the gold dial which controls High Speed compression(Bump Force), and the blue knob which controls Low Speed compression(Handling).

With or new valve design we're able to preset the adjustment range for you based on your rider application giving you fine tuning control without having to worry about having to "set the knobs correctly".

Also, take into consideration that the technician who builds your shock will supply you with recommended starting settings and is available to answer your questions after you have some ride time. Yes, the actual technician.

Darren

ps....I've attached a pic of a customer shock that was built yesterday. Should have a happy home in just a couple of days! :thumbsup:
Hey Darren

You did an MX Tune quite recently for a DHXC 5.0 to be used on a Nomad MkII and you sent it to Pickering-Ontario-Canada to a fellow named Panayiotis Theodosiou.

Well... I'm the actual owner of that shock ...and very eager to try it out soon!!

One question: the shock will be sent to me via airmail (or will go in a friend's luggage when flying out to meet me). Do we need to remove air / pressure from the chamber before sending it or checking-in the luggage on the plane, in order to avoid damage due to changing pressures during the flight? This might be a stupid question but I just thought to ask.....

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Do we need to remove air / pressure from the chamber before sending it or checking-in the luggage on the plane, in order to avoid damage due to changing pressures during the flight? This might be a stupid question but I just thought to ask.....
You should never depressurize your suspension to ship it. Also, the MX tune is designed with a nitrogen gas charge which should not be checked or adjusted.

Darren

·
Registered
329 Posts
mikecy said:
Do we need to remove air / pressure from the chamber before sending it or checking-in the luggage on the plane, in order to avoid damage due to changing pressures during the flight? This might be a stupid question but I just thought to ask.....
The pressure change from altitude is almost insignificant compared to the pressure change that occurs when a shock's shaft is cycled. Your shock will be fine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So this changes the configurable air reservoir to a fixed charge and eliminates the bottom out piston. Does this replace the propedal valve? I know you gain the LSC/HSC adjustability but is this a shimstack / piston / rebound change as well?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
So this changes the configurable air reservoir to a fixed charge and eliminates the bottom out piston. Does this replace the propedal valve? I know you gain the LSC/HSC adjustability but is this a shimstack / piston / rebound change as well?
Yes, the Propedal and Boost (the DHX doesn't have a bottom out piston) functions get replaced with a new Hi/Low compression adjuster housing. You also get a complete overhaul of the shock including all new seals and o-rings wear bands, etc. The shock piston is also replaced and a complete revalve installed based on rider weight, style and frame application. Bottoming bumper, etc....basically a completely customized unit.

Darren

·
Registered
382 Posts
PUSHIND said:
Yes, the Propedal and Boost (the DHX doesn't have a bottom out piston) functions get replaced with a new Hi/Low compression adjuster housing. You also get a complete overhaul of the shock including all new seals and o-rings wear bands, etc. The shock piston is also replaced and a complete revalve installed based on rider weight, style and frame application. Bottoming bumper, etc....basically a completely customized unit.

Darren
Rockin'. When the oil is next due this looks like the route to take - I'm having trouble matching the RC2 on the front of the bike to the DHX's oddball setup and this sounds a lot simpler.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
One question I had to the mx tune is you guys use a new bridge which makes the cost quite high. But your using Avys low/high valving and then they had a prototype to use their low/high valving with the stock bridge.

Why did you guys not go this route? It seems it would be more cost effective and then it would be easier to justify going to the mx over the factory.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
oops ok so its been a while since I saw the site I guess teh new mx tune does use the stock bridge now (or at least looks like it) but now its still the same price 299 even without a different bridge?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
One question I had to the mx tune is you guys use a new bridge which makes the cost quite high. But your using Avys low/high valving and then they had a prototype to use their low/high valving with the stock bridge.

Why did you guys not go this route? It seems it would be more cost effective and then it would be easier to justify going to the mx over the factory.
oops ok so its been a while since I saw the site I guess teh new mx tune does use the stock bridge now (or at least looks like it) but now its still the same price 299 even without a different bridge?
Just to clear things up. The first generation MX-Tune in 2009 used our bridge with an Avalanche Hi/low adjuster. The new second generation MX-Tune still uses our bridge, although redesigned, and a PUSH proprietary Hi/Low adjuster. The reason for the bridge is two fold. One it allows the kit to be retrofitted to DHX-3.0 and VAN-R model shocks. Second, our bridge offers increased clearance between the end of the reservoir of the shock and some frames such as the Turner DW 5 spot and Specialized Enduro. Both of these bikes have a collision problem with the stock bridge which is resolved with our bridge geometry.

Darren

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
Darren - I own one of the original MX Tune setups and am very happy with the performance, but I'd like to get the new bridge/knob setup. I'm assuming there isn't really any program for an upgrade, so here's the question -

MX Tune of a Fox shock or the new Vivid Team Issue setup? I'm riding a Nomad 2, set up for gravity biased trail riding (Downieville DH and the like)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just got the confirmation that my shock has been shipped and its on its way back to me!

I bought a Vanilla R on ebay for $140. Last week I sent that brand new shock in for the MX tune. I never rode the stock Van R because my leg has been broken for the past couple months. This shock was the result of too much time in front of the computer waiting to heal.

Ill post up when I do the swap. Hopefully ill remember to do before and after pics of the swap to show proportions well. But the shock will be replaceing a DHX air on my 2007 Specialized Enduro. Should be quite a change!

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I've had a number of rides on the MX-tune, and thought I'd give a little feedback.

Definite improvement over the stock 2009 DHX 3.0. Push recommended 150psi in the boost, which I guess is no longer the boost, but whatever. I felt things were still a bit too harsh as before. I dropped the pressure down to 140psi - felt better, but noticed harshness again when I hit a series of braking bumps. Next, I dropped it down to 125psi. This was the old minimum psi setting for the DHX so I wasn't comfortable going any lower. Finally, things started to feel nice! Still, very little bob; just nice, smooth action.

I've only ridden it about 4-5 times, so there still may be a break-in period, but so far I'm happy with the shock mod. Not blow away, yet; but happy nevertheless.

I read on this forum that you should not mess with the pressure in the "boost", but someone from Push replied to my email that adjusting the pressure down the way I did was perfectly normal.

Anyway, more to come...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Soooo, I didnt take a before shot of the bike with the DHX air, but the newly MX-Tuned Vanilla R offers MORE clearance than the stocker (in regard to how close the end of the external resivoir gets to the split seat tube)

I will reserve judgment until a trail ride or two (or ten) but it feels great in the parking lot. I have tons of riding time on quite a few air shocks but this is the first coil shock I will have ever owned. Low speed adjustment is very effective and useful so everything from XC do DH should be within reach of this shock. I wont bother playing with rebound or high speed until I hit the trail.

Thanks to everyone at Push. I communicated with at least 4 different employees throughout the entire process and every singe person was a pleasure to deal with.

Thank you again Push!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
SmilMick said:
Soooo, I didnt take a before shot of the bike with the DHX air, but the newly MX-Tuned Vanilla R offers MORE clearance than the stocker (in regard to how close the end of the external resivoir gets to the split seat tube)

I will reserve judgment until a trail ride or two (or ten) but it feels great in the parking lot. I have tons of riding time on quite a few air shocks but this is the first coil shock I will have ever owned. Low speed adjustment is very effective and useful so everything from XC do DH should be within reach of this shock. I wont bother playing with rebound or high speed until I hit the trail.

Thanks to everyone at Push. I communicated with at least 4 different employees throughout the entire process and every singe person was a pleasure to deal with.

Thank you again Push!
Did you go with the longer travel upgrad on the S-works enduro? I actually miss my enduro frame of that year. What a great bike!

·
Registered
253 Posts
PUSHIND said:
the MX tune is designed with a nitrogen gas charge which should not be checked or adjusted.

Darren
Hi Darren.

I am considering the MX tune, and have a few questions:

- Does this nitrogen charge need to be refilled at regular service intervals? I live in Norway, and the only place I have found that does this charges 2-3X service price compared to the LBS for regular Fox service. Therefore, I do not want to have to do regular (yearly?) nitrogen refills.

- Where is the nitrogen recharged, through the Schrader valve on the piggy-back, or some internal valve? Could regular air be used instead?

- You write that "the Propedal and Boost (the DHX doesn't have a bottom out piston) functions get replaced with a new Hi/Low compression adjuster housing" while dulyebr writes about pressure adjustments. What is adjusted by pressure after the MX tune?

Thanks,
Arne

1 - 20 of 26 Posts