Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't make up my mind on whether to keep my 2006 Fisher Marlin and upgrade it or to build up a geared Zion 29er. I already have a Monocog 29er and its my first and only 29er. I really like the way I can keep up my speed on flat and slightly rolling trails on the Monocog as well as rolling over obstacles etc. When I get back on the 26er Fisher I immediatly notice the quicker steering and the overall dartier more nimble feel which I like as well. One problem that I have struggled with on the Fisher since I bought it is the long TT which is 25.5 inches (xl). I am 6'1.5" with a 34.5" inseem and a somewhat short torso and I feel a little stretched out on it and kind of squirrely on lower speed technical stuff. The Monocog however with its 24.5" TT fits perfectly and is the same size as the L Zion frame.

So, I can go ahead and make the leap killing two birds with one stone and build up the Zion 29er. I'll have a better fitting frame and a new 29er or I can keep my 26er and enjoy both sides. That green Zion is really tempting. I already have a few of the parts for it including:
sram 9 speed cassette
new sram chain
handlebars, stems, brake levers, grips
Deore shifters and derailluers
pedals
seat

I would need the following:
Zion frame and fork (green frame and white fork)
Shimano lx crank and BB
Headset
Avid BB7's
Wheels
seatpost
tires

I guess its all up to me, but I'm open to any opinions or comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want it for a geared bike. From what I understand, the MC29er can't accept a 9 speed cassette, other wise I'd make it a 1x9. I know I can add a rear derailluer to the Monocog with an addapter. Is it the rear hub that won't accept the cassette or the way the wheels are dished?

Oh snap, I just had a revelation...I think. I could get a different rear wheel and add a cassette and a disc, add a derailluer and its a 1x9. To switch back and forth wouldn't be too hard.

Am I on the right track here or have I lost my mind? lol

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
WVJon75 said:
I want it for a geared bike. From what I understand, the MC29er can't accept a 9 speed cassette, other wise I'd make it a 1x9. I know I can add a rear derailluer to the Monocog with an addapter. Is it the rear hub that won't accept the cassette or the way the wheels are dished?

Oh snap, I just had a revelation...I think. I could get a different rear wheel and add a cassette and a disc, add a derailluer and its a 1x9. To switch back and forth wouldn't be too hard.

Am I on the right track here or have I lost my mind? lol
I'm with ya now. I missed the "geared" part in your original post. My bad.

Actually, there is much that can be done with a monocog. One of the best I have seen is the 3x1 on this bike.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=255166

I like the idea of that set-up. Potentially cheap and easy to do.

There are a lot of other threads with many options discussed. I think the current freehub body can hold 3 or 4 cogs. I can't remember.

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
for what it's worth

i bought a geared 29er about a year after i got my first 29. it was SS and it was rigid. a geared option is fun and practical sometimes. i sold my newer 26inch full suser ( i still have one in semi-retirement) and a cross bike to get my geary9er. it was worth it. i've never regretted. the cross wouldn't clear a fat tire and 2 full susers with the smaller wheel size just weren't doing it for me anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.