Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first Transition, and I'm hoping to slam it out of the ballpark with this build. There has been some killer builds out of PUSH in the last few weeks, and I thought I would share my Covert with you guys.
Parts arrived today, so here's a few pics. I'll save the frame pics until the build is complete to add a bit of suspense, and will be updating this throughout the weekend as the build comes to an end (fingers crossed).
Fork will be a Rockshox Lyric RC2DH 160, and shock with be a PUSHed RockShox Monarch RC3 Plus.

Twenty6 Prerunner pedals. Urban Camo. Ti spindle.

Sram XO front and rear, mid cage, derailleur.

Sram XO 2x10 shifters

Thomson Elite X4, 50mm stem

Straitline 36t bashguard

Sram XO brakes

Sram XX Dome cassette, 11/32

Truvativ XO crankset (triple shown, changing to 22/36/bash AM Spider)

Schwalbe Hans Dampf x2

Mavic 819/DT DB Comp/King wheelset

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh, pretty big issue was found last night. One of the Mavic 819 rims is bad, so only the rear was built up and I'll be on a loaner front wheel for now. Pretty bummed, but extremely happy with the rear wheel. I'm having issues with this Reverb, and thinking it's going to be swapped. Need to trim and bleed the rear brake. That's about it. Should have some pics in the next day or so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. Still waiting for another rim to show up, and once the wheel is built, I'll snap some pics.
Had my very first Transition ride this past weekend on the Curt Gowdy trails outside of Cheyenne Wyoming this past weekend.

I loved the Hans Dampf on the front, not a fan of it on the rear. One ride in, and I've lost around 8-10 knobs. Probably be switching it out for a Fat Albert or an Ardent. Having slight issues with the rear brake getting a "shuttering" problem. Just a few little things and I'll have some pics once it's finished.

Overall, I love this bike. My last 6 bikes have been Yeti's, and I was tired of waiting 4 months for the SB-66, so I bought the Covert for no other reason than Transition answered every email within a day and returned every phone call within an hour. The Covert climbs better than any Yeti I've owned, and the rear end feels bottomless and tracks very well. One ride in, and I'm sold. It's not even broken in yet. Sizing wise, I'm about 5'11", and Transition has me on a Medium Covert. My initial 50mm stem was too short, so I swapped it out for a 70mm, and I've order a bar with a higher rise (currently a carbon Easton Havoc bar). The frame was a tad on the small side, but I think it's going to be just fine.

Overall, super excited to make the switch and I look forward to sharing some pics with you soon.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,717 Posts
I was going to ask you about the Yeti thing, I remember you always were posting about your bikes in that forum. I too left the tribe earlier this year, I know those guys are "cool", but I think they may have gotten a little to big for their britches when it comes to pricing as well as responsiveness to paying (or already paid!) customers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was going to ask you about the Yeti thing, I remember you always were posting about your bikes in that forum. I too left the tribe earlier this year, I know those guys are "cool", but I think they may have gotten a little to big for their britches when it comes to pricing as well as responsiveness to paying (or already paid!) customers.
I'm personally friends with a few guys at Yeti, and have nothing but respect for the company and their products. I would have loved an SB, I just couldn't wait any longer. Fall riding in Colorado is tough to beat and something I couldn't miss.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates. Still waiting for another rim to show up, and once the wheel is built, I'll snap some pics.
Had my very first Transition ride this past weekend on the Curt Gowdy trails outside of Cheyenne Wyoming this past weekend.

I loved the Hans Dampf on the front, not a fan of it on the rear. One ride in, and I've lost around 8-10 knobs. Probably be switching it out for a Fat Albert or an Ardent. Having slight issues with the rear brake getting a "shuttering" problem. Just a few little things and I'll have some pics once it's finished.

Overall, I love this bike. My last 6 bikes have been Yeti's, and I was tired of waiting 4 months for the SB-66, so I bought the Covert for no other reason than Transition answered every email within a day and returned every phone call within an hour. The Covert climbs better than any Yeti I've owned, and the rear end feels bottomless and tracks very well. One ride in, and I'm sold. It's not even broken in yet. Sizing wise, I'm about 5'11", and Transition has me on a Medium Covert. My initial 50mm stem was too short, so I swapped it out for a 70mm, and I've order a bar with a higher rise (currently a carbon Easton Havoc bar). The frame was a tad on the small side, but I think it's going to be just fine.

Overall, super excited to make the switch and I look forward to sharing some pics with you soon.
Hi! Glad you like the bike.

We are pretty curious to try those Hans Dampf tires too... heard good things about them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ah glad I found this thread - currently contemplating a new bike and the top two on my short list are the Covert & 575. I ride mostly in Ontario (Canada) and frequent technical trails that are strewn with rocks and roots with 2-3' drops at most. I've been riding a Giant Trance X for the past few years and while it's been great I have become uninspired with it. I'm looking to start making trips at least annually to Kingdom VT and Quebec as well as I have Fernie BC on my radar. Truth be told, both bikes are probably overkill for what I typically ride but I'd rather have an overbuilt bike I use to its limits a handful of times a year than a lighter bike whose limits I don't want to push.

Should I be leaning towards one or the other or are both equaly solid options? And if I go with a Covert, is the RP23 far better suited to the bike than a DHX Air 5.0?

·
Daddy Dragon
54 Posts
I just got my Covert last week. I've only been able to get one ride in (which was sick, super stiff with lots of pop) but this weekend I'm going up to Sandy Ridge to put her through the paces. Can't wait to see pics of your build.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.