Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're welcome to ask any Pre-Sales or Post-Sales questions related to the Push HC97 damper upgrade and the actual owners will try to help you with real world feedbacks, settings, installation tips or anything that may help you get onboard quickly and easily!

No graphs or theories here, just plain and simple English with only one goal! To help others.

If you are interested by a more technical, high level discussion about this upgrade ... you should take a look at the original thread here

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Not to be mean but why make a post to hopefully start a thread for non technical questions on a technical product. What I mean is by the earlier thread almost every question is a technical question. Which makes absolute sense for the product, I don’t think your gonna get many “does the blue knob slow how fast it comes back” questions on this type of product (wrong clientele).

This seems like a total waste of a post, anyone purchasing a HC97 knows + from - and LSC from HSC and rebound from compression.

Actually my mistake, I quick read the first part and missed the section about installation tips etc it’s late and felt I got click baited. NVM, and now I can’t delete.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not mean at all, no worries that's a fair question! I never said it doesn't have to be technical but maybe not to the point where you have to publish data and graphs to prove your point, because there's nothing to prove (I'm sure you know what I mean by that). So if you are interested by the upgrade and want to know what it does best, where and how to install it for example ... and don't want to be bombarded with theories about how you could re-tune an already amazing piece of equipement made by the most recognized tuner in the market ... that's just an example ;)

I've seen a fair amount of people mistaking this upgrade for a "plusher ride" upgrade where in fact it is not. it performs as it's best when pushed hard on rough terrains to maintain control at speed! Most of the questions related to settings, LSC/HSC/RBD/Spring side etc... are honestly the most commons and don't many people care about the science behind it, at least no to the point where you have to have 10 years of Fluid Engineering behind you to start getting answers to simple questions. The initial thread is good but it's clogged up with sooo many arguments, it would take 3 hours to find a tiny bit of useful info where this one would be more "straight to the point". We'll see!

Another good reason for this thread to exist is the fact that Push (ex: Darren) can't really help his customers without being targeted by competitors who are more than happy to make some noise while we wait on the side with our questions. I just feel the energy and time spent replying to naysayers would be more beneficial to proper/real customers who spent or are willing to spend some money toward a company they trust ... it's amazing to be able to get in direct contact with them and the forum becomes an open book for anyone to read!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not to be mean but why make a post to hopefully start a thread for non technical questions on a technical product. What I mean is by the earlier thread almost every question is a technical question. Which makes absolute sense for the product, I don't think your gonna get many "does the blue knob slow how fast it comes back" questions on this type of product (wrong clientele).

This seems like a total waste of a post, anyone purchasing a HC97 knows + from - and LSC from HSC and rebound from compression.

Actually my mistake, I quick read the first part and missed the section about installation tips etc it's late and felt I got click baited. NVM, and now I can't delete.
Because every technical question gets buried by charts and graphs and dougal arguing about how there is no midvalve. I'm trying to figure out what the hell he means by midvalve, does he not like that you remove the compression shim stack and only leave one shim and spring located before the port or something? What I freaking wanna know is was I supposed to take 1 8mm shim from my compression stack to put it on my rebound stack to make 2 8mm shims for the rebound tune? There was only 1 8mm shim on the rebound stack in stock form for a 2.1 correct, I didn't lose one?

·
Registered
161 Posts
ok - i will start with my settings for anyone interested.

brand new 2019 lyric with one ride before the hc97 was fitted
83kgs 78psi 1 token.
rp1 rebound tune
rebound -10
lsc20
hsc-16

with the base settings i felt it was a touch too firm so backed the hsc off to -20

Since I have ridden the bike the forks have bedded in some what and have gone back in to -16 and the feel really good on rough hits.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I freaking wanna know is was I supposed to take 1 8mm shim from my compression stack to put it on my rebound stack to make 2 8mm shims for the rebound tune? There was only 1 8mm shim on the rebound stack in stock form for a 2.1 correct, I didn't lose one?
I'd say it's a possibility! I thought ALL the rebound shims where shipped with the HC97 but they aren't and you have to keep most of the original ones and mix them a little. Because Push knows you won't need the compression stack anymore maybe they've figured you could "steal" one shim and put it on the rebound stack. That'd be great to have an official answer. (And maybe update the PDF if it's the case ... just to make it clear for others)

·
Registered
18,598 Posts

83kgs 78psi 1 token.
rp1 rebound tune
rebound -10
lsc20
hsc-16

with the base settings i felt it was a touch too firm so backed the hsc off to -20

Since I have ridden the bike the forks have bedded in some what and have gone back in to -16 and the feel really good on rough hits.
What length travel is your fork? You're just a hair heavier than I and your pressure is a bit lower but our settings are pretty close.

Me: 178 lbs. dressed to ride with water

Mine:
2019 160mm Lyrik RC2
LSC = 20
HSC = 15
Rebound = 10
Rebound tune = RP1
Tokens = 1
Spring = stock air at 83psi

Our trails are mostly smooth soil punctuated with occasional lava rock. I like how the HC97 made the front end more "quiet" and composed in the rough. With my DPX2 shock in medium setting the bike feels firm, like a German sports car suspension. It almost dulls the ride a little but I can go faster on rough terrain and go bigger on jumps since I feel more controlled.

Recently in Moab on the super chunky Porcupine Rim Jeep road section I tried backing out the HSC several clicks with the idea it would take the chatter better at speed but I'm not sure it actually felt smoother that way. I keep going back to the recommended settings.

·
Registered
18,598 Posts

83kgs 78psi 1 token.
rp1 rebound tune
rebound -10
lsc20
hsc-16

What length travel is your fork? You're just a hair heavier than I and your pressure is a bit lower but our settings are pretty close.

Me: 178 lbs. dressed to ride with water

Mine:
2019 160mm Lyrik RC2
LSC = 20
HSC = 15
Rebound = 10
Rebound tune = RP1
Tokens = 1
Spring = stock air at 83psi

Our trails are mostly smooth soil punctuated with occasional lava rock. I like how the HC97 made the front end more "quiet" and composed in the rough. With my DPX2 shock in medium setting the bike feels firm, like a German sports car suspension. It almost dulls the ride a little but I can go faster on rough terrain and go bigger on jumps since I feel more controlled.

Recently in Moab on the super chunky Porcupine Rim Jeep road section I tried backing out the HSC several clicks with the idea it would take the chatter better at speed but I'm not sure it actually felt smoother that way. I keep going back to the recommended settings.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone running both the ACS3 + HC97 with a charger2?! (not 2.1)

I find it too harsh on small/medium hits then absolutely great on high speed, bigger hits. Darren suggested a firmer spring (because the first 50% of the travel gets used very quickly) and less compression ... I should get it within the next few days but was wondering if someone is in the same boat.

Are you guys on air springs finding it "confortable/plush" at low speeds on chattery trails?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Because every technical question gets buried by charts and graphs and dougal arguing about how there is no midvalve. I'm trying to figure out what the hell he means by midvalve, does he not like that you remove the compression shim stack and only leave one shim and spring located before the port or something? What I freaking wanna know is was I supposed to take 1 8mm shim from my compression stack to put it on my rebound stack to make 2 8mm shims for the rebound tune? There was only 1 8mm shim on the rebound stack in stock form for a 2.1 correct, I didn't lose one?
If he says stock has two then I would think you are only supposed to add one of the shims provided. Dumb question but are you 100% sure the two aren't just stuck together making you think you only got one? The light oil film and the small size can really get them stuck pretty good.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
A mid valve is a second compression stack on the back of the rebound stack. As fluid moves through the mid stack considerably faster than the main compression stack it opens more tuning opportunities on both stacks. It makes suspension very complicated for reasons I won't go in to as the OP will sulk.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is this thread will also turn into mid-valve discussion? :D:D:D

Here is the picture from Rock Shox Pike RC "Light" Tune thread. Top is the rebound (shims are missing) bottom is mid-valve / check plate / check shim (whatever you want to call it, spring is missing on the picture). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is this thread will also turn into mid-valve discussion? :D:D:D

Here is the picture from Rock Shox Pike RC "Light" Tune thread. Top is the rebound (shims are missing) bottom is mid-valve / check plate / check shim (whatever you want to call it, spring is missing on the picture). Hope this helps.

Thats funny because you don't change anything on that side of the compression damper, there is just a spring and one shim. Jesus if dougal doesn't like the stock midvalve make us a better one. I think he is pissed because darren was apparently saying you dont need it anymore or something but it's still on the damper I built per the instructions. Thanks I know what it is now, lets leave it at that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The 8mm shims are only clamp shims so 1 is all you need as long as there's enough thread left to clamp the stack. If not, then you lost one
Ok, I think there was only 1 8mm shim for each stack on my 2.1 damper I just bought new. I was so careful and I'm positive one wasn't sticking to another, I checked that and laid them all out. I wish someone who has built one would chime in, was kinda hoping darren would chime in, maybe I will contact them directly. I did just take a 8mm shim from the compression shims to have 2 of them per the instructions. If what your saying is true there probably was only one 8mm shim per stack. Wonder if they have 2 in their tune for some reason?

1 - 20 of 230 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.