Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's $25 to get my shock fixed and $150 to have it push'd. I read a lot of recommendations for spending the extra money, but am curious what will really change? Can someone describe the difference for me. If it helps, I'm riding 05 Specialized FSR XC comp with a float RL - I usually run 240-250 psi in the rear shock. Thanks ~ Matt

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, I assume you've read many of the glowing claims of performance enhancement that PUSH is alleged to have bestowed on many different Fox rear shocks. I have a PUSH'd Fox RC on a Nomad that even the greenest rider would recognize made a major, major leap in improved performance. My experience is similar to just about everyone else. On these forums you hear some of the good news and almost all of the bad news about product performance. If you've been visiting here long, you know it's true. You'll notice that the bad news on PUSH service and products is extremely small...amazingly and extremely small. And you may notice on the few issues that do occur, they are quick to try and rectify the problem. I'm no schill for PUSH, and I'd slam them in a heartbeat if they didn't produce what they claim.

On your particular application, they'll set up that shock for your weight, your kind of riding, the kind of suspension action inherent in your bike, and any riding/suspension preferences that you have...with the Race System package, of course. For me, I don't think I'd even send a shock into PUSH if I wasn't going to do the Race System. Having the shock specifically tailored to you, your bike, and your riding style is an amazing thing if you haven't experienced it.

I will now await my promotional check from Darren/PUSH, which I expect to arrive any day now...LOL!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Matt,

TNC shacked it. You can always give PUSH a call too, and talk to them directly about your shock, riding style, etc. They'll give you the straight dope on what they think they can do for you without trying to shove a sale down your throat. I'm a very happy PUSH customer (05 RP3 and 06 Talas), and have had nothing but great experiences getting questions answered by Darren and Jimmy about their service.

Cheers, Chris

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Another PUSH pusher here

I have a Vanilla R on my full shock on my Leader 626S and it was well worth the money invested. The shock is plush and as others have seaid, is tuned to my weight, riding style and suspension linkage. I recently purchased a PUSH'd Vanilla RLC for my Leader hardtail and while I don't have any real riding time on it, I have high expectations based on my experiences with the Vanilla R.

Bob

·
Registered
204 Posts
mattpoland said:
It's $25 to get my shock fixed and $150 to have it push'd. I read a lot of recommendations for spending the extra money, but am curious what will really change? Can someone describe the difference for me. If it helps, I'm riding 05 Specialized FSR XC comp with a float RL - I usually run 240-250 psi in the rear shock. Thanks ~ Matt
wow, if you find 240-250 lbs of air works best for you then you'd most definitely benefit from a customization...that's a lot of pressure! I take it you are a "clyde"? :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no lockout

Thanks for all the help! I went to order the push tuning online and noticed that I loose my lockout feature. I couldn't stand not having lockout with my Float R so I bought an RL. Does the push tuning eliminate the bob? - I'm 230 lbs and even at 250psi in the RL - it bobed on the steeper climbs. Now if it would just warm up here in Sacramento so I could go riding ... this 40 degree weather doesn't work with my california blood.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
can't really help you with what to expect with your Float RL, but I can tel you they worked magic with my Vanilla RC. I highly recommend you give them a call and ask them more info to help you decide. Personally, I would suggest getting your shock PUSH'd.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
PUSH.. just do it.

I had my 2004 Float R rebuilt with their Factory Tuning Package. Wow. First off, their service is top notch. I happen to live about 6 miles from their facility and was able to take it there myself. I walked in and was treated like a REAL PERSON! Whoa! They sat down with me, talked to me about how I like to ride and prescribed their custom tuning witchcraft. My shock came back with about 50 psi less than I normally rode in it, apparently replaced with pure concentrated Black Magic (FM) (PM me if you need to know what FM is!). My shock had come alive. It decended better. It climbed better. It did everything better. It was hard for me to believe that whatever it was they did could make that kind of difference. Plus, they will do a factory rebuild (air sleeve service) thereafter for about $25!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
mattpoland said:
Thanks for all the help! I went to order the push tuning online and noticed that I loose my lockout feature. I couldn't stand not having lockout with my Float R so I bought an RL. Does the push tuning eliminate the bob? - I'm 230 lbs and even at 250psi in the RL - it bobed on the steeper climbs. Now if it would just warm up here in Sacramento so I could go riding ... this 40 degree weather doesn't work with my california blood.
You really don't want a lockout. It's problematic and interferes with real suspension performance. What you want is a well behaved shock that keeps the rear wheel on the ground and lets you do your thing. PUSH does all that. It's much better than the ProPedal from Fox because it's closer to a true initial slow speed threshold without affecting your whole compression range. Plus being a Clyde, you are well out of the "normal" range for which the stock shock is tuned. Just PUSH it, and if you don't like it, they can fix it. They really aim to please. Give them a call.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I was contemplating Push for my Fox Float R on '04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. Then I saw they had '06 Fox RP3 Pushed shock on sale for $250. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. It is winter here and the only riding the new shock has had is commuting to work from time to time. But I can't wait to give it the trail test. I weigh 195lbs with gear and wanted my shock tuned to my heavier-than-average weight.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
If you want the most out of your suspension, it's worth it. I've had 2 shocks pushed. A float RL with AVA and a Vanilla RC. There was a remarkable improvement on both shocks. My main impression is that the shock is just so much more controlled throughout the stroke. In high speed stuff and drops the bike is so much easier to handle is much more predictable.

I still have some very minor issues but that has to do more with the design of the Vanilla RC and my unique preferences than anything Push does. It has me dreaming about a Pushed DHX though, supposedly the cats meow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.