Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
windrider
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see no shortage of "hey look at me" threads on this forum so I decided to chime in with one of my own- kind of. I couldn't figure out how get my video directly to this format so I uploaded to You Tube and now have a link. Call me a huge fan of push bikes that I heard about here first.

My son is on a $20 (resale shop) Huffy Scram that I ditched the drive train, chopped the seat stays, flexed the chain stays, and then re-welded the chain stays in order to get him on a push bike before he was two. I didn't 'push' him but only guided him when he expressed interest when he saw his daddy's bikes.

My neighbor's son is on the next size up (after Christmas sale) bike that my son now rides. My kid can still fit the Huffy (with the seat post maxed) when he cruises with his friend. Concerned parents need not worry- I have helmets for both of them. They were done for the day cruising the slightly sloped street in front of the house when I decided to get this clip in the driveway. As fast as my kid is growing and with the trailer bike we are now about to be pulling/pushing, I will soon have two munchkin bikes that I will see if anyone is interested in here.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts

just select the embed code from below the video to give it a professional "hey look at me" style!

I got my son one of those for his 2nd birthday but his legs are a little too short to reach the ground even with the saddle all the way down. I am now awaiting a growth spurt so we can enjoy it.

·
dirt visionary
6,516 Posts
yup they are awesome helps kids skip right past training wheels before you know it their riding trails.

Even Dorsey from that gold rush series had one for his daughter

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Nice to see the next crop of cyclists getting started early. My 3 yr old daughter has gotten fast enough on her push bike that I've had to strap a helmet to her and she rides it almost every day.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Munchkin, heh, I used to be called munchkin. Takes me back! I'm about 4-5 years away from the push bike, but just wondering, do they stop Flintstone style? I suppose they don't get going too fast, but a little rear brake could be some extra training for the "big boy/gal" bike.

·
windrider
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chop, cut, rebuild...

rockcrusher said:

just select the embed code from below the video to give it a professional "hey look at me" style!

I got my son one of those for his 2nd birthday but his legs are a little too short to reach the ground even with the saddle all the way down. I am now awaiting a growth spurt so we can enjoy it.
RC,

At pre-two my kid couldn't stand over any bike we tried. Finally I found the Scram and decided to drop the seat height a bit. I know you probably don't want to go chopping on a new bike but I had no hesitation reshaping our resale find. The chop and weld I described dropped the seat height just enough to let him push and he was off.

It has been interesting to watch his interest in the bikes wax and wane in the last 18 months. Much like us big kids riding together, the interest went way up when our little neighbor pal found out how much fun it is.

BRM

·
Registered
412 Posts
Push bikes are awesome. We just got our 18 month old one for christmas. He seems to like the idea of a bike better than actually riding it. He is used to us doing the work for him and just riding along with us. We just leave the push bike sitting around and maybe one day he'll figure it out.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
theGreenEGg said:
Push bikes are awesome. We just got our 18 month old one for christmas. He seems to like the idea of a bike better than actually riding it. He is used to us doing the work for him and just riding along with us. We just leave the push bike sitting around and maybe one day he'll figure it out.
Thats what we did and took him around other kids that ride and he took to it himself. Plus hours and hours of bike movies and web edits help with the brain washing...all passive though;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
too rad! and congrats. i know the proud feeling you all are having. and the stories bring back recent fond memories. movies are super cool and good at stoking us out to ride. the bike build thing is very creative, awsome for the desire to get your kid riding as soon as possible. we had similar clearance issues. my daughter 3yr 1 week as of now, rides push bike and won't even look at her pedal bike. in time i guess! she rips the dh flinstone stlye with moto turns no problem. rarely gets speed wabbles anymore, and goes fast enough that imo needs to wear her full face. skate parks are great training for both of us and can ride the smaller/wider stunts in the yard. she would love to hit the foam pit, but not yet. i did see an 8 yr old that was pulling no foot cans to both sides couple weeks back. excited for what the future holds. happy riding!
j

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.