Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my front fork serviced by Push and have been happy with their work. I have a stock RP23 that I'd like to send in and have overhauled. I noticed a "Big hit kit" or something like it. What would necessitate that? I ride a Turner Spot, I weigh 215 and ride xcountry/freeride/hike-a-bike and on trips ride drops and jumps where I can. Is that big hit worthy and what does it mean? Is it worth having the rear shock pushed? Performance wise, what does it do? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
e-mail darren at Push and ask. He is a good guy (if you catch him) and will take the time to talk to you about their services, what they can do, what YOU want done and expect...etc.

Been very happy with the work they have done for me on two different DHX coils (different tunes, different services, different bikes).

looks like the big hit kit is a larger progressive bottom bumper (in place of the o-ring that is stock). This is part of the coil tunes, but I know they have different sizes, progressiveness and durometers of the bumpers depending on frame design, rider size, rider agressiveness, bike use, etc.

Again, contact Push, and tell them as much as you can about what you do, dont do, and what YOU see as the things you would like your shock to do better....

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
The BHK is just a bottomout bumper like you see on coil shocks. Depending on the frame it can be a very good addition. You can run lower pressure and not worry too much about bottoming out as it ramps up fast at the last .25in or so. Other than the lower pressure thing it is really not much difference the rest of the time ;)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
my understanding is that the big hit kit was designed for bikes with a more linear or falling leverage curve where the rear suspension doesn't 'ramp up' as much towards the end of the shock stroke. this additional bumper basically creates that ramp up to prevent hard bottoming of the suspension and often is what riders feel when they say their suspension feels 'bottomless'. the bumper helps create a softer transition to the shock end stroke preventing a hard bottom out.

regarding what the PUSH tuning does, call or email and ask. Darren is great at explaining what their tunings do and what it means to the rider on the trail. you can also search these forums - there is a lot of discussion and description about redesigned pistons, compression and rebound tech and tuning and how it differs from stock dampers.

i personally feel their work is worth it but not everybody does or even cares.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
I have the big hit in my RP3 on my five spot, so we're talking apples to apples here. When I initially sent Push my RP3, it had the low volume air sleeve on it. Their recommendation was to install the big hit kit { the elastomer bumper mentioned above} and to put a high volume air sleeve on the shock, to optimize the stroke. In conjunction with the big hit kit, this is a very good set-up.
Do you know which size air sleeve you have on your shock?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Renegade said:
I have the big hit in my RP3 on my five spot, so we're talking apples to apples here. When I initially sent Push my RP3, it had the low volume air sleeve on it. Their recommendation was to install the big hit kit { the elastomer bumper mentioned above} and to put a high volume air sleeve on the shock, to optimize the stroke. In conjunction with the big hit kit, this is a very good set-up.
Do you know which size air sleeve you have on your shock?
Is this on a dw or older 5-spot?

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Go for It !!!!

I'll be requesting the big hit kit option as well when I send my RP23 in for service at PUSH for my Knolly Endorphin.......the added assurance of those times you may need it I feel is well worth it and the cost isn't really a big factor if your already going for the factory tune anyway........just sayin ! TIG.

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked with Push

Those guys are cool. Can't remember who I spoke with, but he said:

"What sleeve do you have currently?" and I said "The High Volume Sleeve", and he said "based on your weight, bike, a standard sleeve would be more appropriate." Due to the more progressive design of the 5 spot, the high volume sleeve makes the mid part of the stroke too squishy,loose, for an all around good shock. I ride in AK which is mostly xcountry but I hike up a bunch of stuff and consider most of that riding Freeriding/all-mountain. On trips to Fruita-Grand Junction, and the Alta Freeride trip in Europe, the 5 spot was a great bike in that it could adjust to xcountry/climbing/technical/and flew downhill. I'm just looking to optimize the rear shock for all things.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.