Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1473 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just saw this today and emailed Suspension Werx in North Vancouver. I'm going to get one as soon as they're available! The website still says "coming soon"! My fork was push tuned last winter and it was a very big improvement. Looking forward to trying out the coil spring!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not sure that would be a good comparison - I am assuming the spring rate and dampener are designed in conjunction on the Ohlins where as this is just a modification to only the spring side.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know people come at the Push thing with a money no object stance...but $400 for a coil spring conversion is quite expensive. I'm really hoping that this prompts companies like Fox and Rockshox to think about coil spring options for their forks. The Elevensix seemed to convince bigger players to offer coil springs aimed at non-downhill disciplines, at a much more reasonable cost than push (less than half the price).

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
1500+ for a 36 coil with custom tune! if you go all push that sets you up for a $2k7 which is the price of a pretty nice carbon frame + shock!

definitely a premium market and customer focused product!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm not sure that would be a good comparison - I am assuming the spring rate and dampener are designed in conjunction on the Ohlins where as this is just a modification to only the spring side.
Yeah, I mean, you're probably right...but taking an (MRSP) $900-1000 shock and adding a $400 coil spring to it, I would hope that it was comparable. Otherwise I'd just be inclined to sell off the Pike/36/whatever and spend the money on the Ohlins.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just got a tuned 2018 Fox 36 RC2 from them a few weeks ago to match the ElevenSix on my Nomad. Is it that much better? Because so far with the air spring my bike is feeling perfect.

Also wondering if it's reversible...i.e. can you go back to air?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got a tuned 2018 Fox 36 RC2 from them a few weeks ago to match the ElevenSix on my Nomad. Is it that much better? Because so far with the air spring my bike is feeling perfect.

As good as you think the air spring is, the coil is that much better. And air performance will inevitably deteriorate with time. Their tune works complimentary to the coil spring, and the combo of spring and damper tune is the bees knees. The pink bike article says that it's not easy to revert back to air because of wear issues, but I doubt you'd want to.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
200-something grams.... Pretty decent for the benefits of coil sprung suspension.

While I wish they didn't have to include that ramp up thing, I guess it's necessary since the RC2 damper (or charger) isn't an Avalanche cartridge with mid valves and hydraulic anti bottom out.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,056 Posts
200-something grams.... Pretty decent for the benefits of coil sprung suspension.

While I wish they didn't have to include that ramp up thing, I guess it's necessary since the RC2 damper (or charger) isn't an Avalanche cartridge with mid valves and hydraulic anti bottom out.
The fox carts have a hydraulic bottom-out system, however, very old 36s were not adjustable for this. There is some debate on Ridemonkey right now as to whether you really need the additional bottom-out protection over and above that already offered by the fox cartridge:

I've already shared my thoughts on coil spring rates and bottom out resistance earlier in the thread. "Over-spring" could mean many things depending on which factors you considered when modeling an existing air sprung fork. I think you may be referring to the very old VAN36 there too, as the HBO was non-adjustable (from memory) on the inverted-RC2 equipped VAN36 (circa 2011-2013). The pre-invert dampers were heavily lacking in compression damping so it's not really a fair comparison.

The answer to your question is somewhat travel-dependent. Personally I'd rather jump up to the 170mm 36 if running out of travel was an issue (= no weight penalty from memory) rather than lug around a sealed air spring unit inside my coil spring. But, full disclosure: I ride a DH bike for stuff that needs 203mm of travel - I run a coil converted new 40 (standard spring for my weight per Fox guidelines), which I've tested with the HBO damper and non-HBO damper. I prefer the non-HBO and very rarely bottom it out (usually only on a botched big landing).

For people hitting bikeparks / big stuff on their 160mm fork a bottom out system may well be necessary (which is fair and probably describes an increasing number of users - so I don't disagree with you) but I would have solved the problem in a more cost- and weight-conscious way personally. The HBO damper added only ~15g.

I think there would be a far bigger market for a lower priced system with a far more basic bottom out system if deemed necessary. I think two versions would net greater sales/profits and reach a bigger audience. If the ABS could be retrofitted it'd be even better, letting people decide (and spend the extra) if they need it for their riding application. Just an idea.
If you really want to go coil, it may be possible to disable the pneumatic bottom-out? Would be nice like you say. There's the TFT kit for the pike that might work for the lyrik?

I have to say that running my RFX with the avalanche fork and avalanched RC4 feels extremely balanced. I know with a coil front it'd have even "moar" front traction, but damn if it doesn't already feel like a million bucks and doesn't leave me wanting more on DH. At the rear end of the bike there's still a significant difference between my tuned Monarch+ and the coil RC4, but I don't think quite so much on the front end, although again, I'm sure coil would be better. I've had some shitty coil forks though that my current lyrik+avy just blows away, every one of them in fact, except the avy-cart I had in the 888.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Push ASC-3 Coil Conversion kit

By definition, if your air spring is perfect, the coil can't be any better (perfecter). It can only be just as good (or also perfect).
That said, spend your hard earned money elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you really want to go coil, it may be possible to disable the pneumatic bottom-out? Would be nice like you say.
I really don't understand why people would think that we would spend all of the time and money developing the Air Bump Stop if it wasn't necessary? It by far was the most expensive and time consuming pat of the development process!

When was the last time you saw a thread talking about increasing the air volume of an air fork to make to more linear? There's a reason riders are using tokens with air springs. :thumbsup:

Darren

1 - 20 of 1473 Posts