Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've had an 11/6 and a few Cane Creek coils on different bikes.

Personally, I feel the performance is real similar, but you get a few things with the 11/6 you don't with others, primarily in support.

Having PUSH, with their extensive expertise in setting up suspension for bikes, tune it for you is nice compared to having to do it yourself, especially if you aren't particularly in-tune with the way it should feel. Mine felt outstanding with little adjustments needing to be made, but when I asked for help, they gave me concrete (x clicks on y adjustment) suggestions to meet what I was looking for. You can also have them adapt it to other bikes and IIRC when you get it rebuilt, you get any upgrades that were made to that point. It was also really reliable and, while I had no issue with my Cane Creek shocks, I know some have. If you fall outside of a certain weight range, you'll probably find the PUSH to be better, as well, due to them being custom tuned vs having a stock tune.

The only area it loses is in cost, both initially and if you need to experiment with spring rates. The $1200 cost to entry is a big one, but if you plan on keeping the bike for a while or want professional tuning, it's well worth it compared to riding with something that's not tuned correctly. You also have the added benefit of reliability and you know what you are getting in terms of assembly consistency. Some other companies (Fox, etc), their assembly is a bit more hit or mess. I think for most riders, having the expertise of someone like PUSH set it up for you and give you a baseline tune that they've tested and found works, is worth the added cost.

The Cane Creek coils have been great for me too, though, as has their support, but you have to put the legwork in on getting it to feel right and there isn't a lot of instrumentation available to the average rider. If you know how you want your suspension to feel and are cost sensitive, then the DBCoil CS is a good option also. I don't know many riders that fall into that category, though.

Only other thing I'll add is another cost related note, the coils for the 11/6 are fairly expensive. I ended up buying two other sizes for mine, which is pretty expensive for a $1200 shock. I've pretty consistently had issues with all my coils and finding the right spring rate, though, and went through three on my Cane Creek shocks.

So if you want the best coil you can buy tuned by some of the best suspension tuners in the US, PUSH is the way to go, it's worth the cost. If you are more cost sensitive, the DBCoil CS or other coils may provide similar performance, but at the cost of having to tune it yourself and possibly reliability.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had an 11/6 and a few Cane Creek coils on different bikes.

Personally, I feel the performance is real similar, but you get a few things with the 11/6 you don't with others, primarily in support.

Having PUSH, with their extensive expertise in setting up suspension for bikes, tune it for you is nice compared to having to do it yourself, especially if you aren't particularly in-tune with the way it should feel. Mine felt outstanding with little adjustments needing to be made, but when I asked for help, they gave me concrete (x clicks on y adjustment) suggestions to meet what I was looking for. You can also have them adapt it to other bikes and IIRC when you get it rebuilt, you get any upgrades that were made to that point. It was also really reliable and, while I had no issue with my Cane Creek shocks, I know some have. If you fall outside of a certain weight range, you'll probably find the PUSH to be better, as well, due to them being custom tuned vs having a stock tune.

The only area it loses is in cost, both initially and if you need to experiment with spring rates. The $1200 cost to entry is a big one, but if you plan on keeping the bike for a while or want professional tuning, it's well worth it compared to riding with something that's not tuned correctly. You also have the added benefit of reliability and you know what you are getting in terms of assembly consistency. Some other companies (Fox, etc), their assembly is a bit more hit or mess. I think for most riders, having the expertise of someone like PUSH set it up for you and give you a baseline tune that they've tested and found works, is worth the added cost.

The Cane Creek coils have been great for me too, though, as has their support, but you have to put the legwork in on getting it to feel right and there isn't a lot of instrumentation available to the average rider. If you know how you want your suspension to feel and are cost sensitive, then the DBCoil CS is a good option also. I don't know many riders that fall into that category, though.

Only other thing I'll add is another cost related note, the coils for the 11/6 are fairly expensive. I ended up buying two other sizes for mine, which is pretty expensive for a $1200 shock. I've pretty consistently had issues with all my coils and finding the right spring rate, though, and went through three on my Cane Creek shocks.

So if you want the best coil you can buy tuned by some of the best suspension tuners in the US, PUSH is the way to go, it's worth the cost. If you are more cost sensitive, the DBCoil CS or other coils may provide similar performance, but at the cost of having to tune it yourself and possibly reliability.
what are those reliability issues?
do those knobs on the push actually allow adjustments on climb?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.