Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was swapping out my Thomson post for a Descenderpost when I noticed light coming out of the top of my 5 Spot seat tube. At first I was worried I had broken something, but eventually I discovered two very purposeful looking holes where the seat tube meet the yoke at the top of the bb. Are the holes used in production on an alignment jig or something? Do they serve some other purpose?

Admittedly its probably not important, but if anyone knows about it I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Clyde

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is so when your stash slips out the bottom of your seatpost on a rough ride and falls down into the cavernous depths of the seat tube, you can use compressed air via those holes to blow it back out.

Or at least that's what Smokey told me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong use of hot air ;-)

tscheezy said:
I'm pretty sure it is so when your stash slips out the bottom of your seatpost on a rough ride and falls down into the cavernous depths of the seat tube, you can use compressed air via those holes to blow it back out.

Or at least that's what Smokey told me.
Naw. Compressed air might scatter the goods. You need to remove the seat post, pass a nice flame under the holes, and draw in SLOWLY man! Thanks anyhow.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I believe that these holes are there to allow gasses to escape during welding.

_MK

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

If I have to choose between blow holes for my stash, drain holes for water, or vent holes for gas I'd probably give the nod to the drain holes.

For what its worth here's a "pic" of my bike's "nostrils."

Attachments

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
MK_ said:
I believe that these holes are there to allow gasses to escape during welding.

_MK
bingo!

essential if you want to avoid excess heat effects and if you want to purge your weld zone with any particular gas.

of course if they're located at the bottom of a tube that runs primarily in the vertical axis, they also can be drains, but whether that's the primary purpose, I'd doubt... anyone know for sure?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.