Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get my rear derailleur adjusted and its driving me F'in nuts!!!! been working on it for the past who knows how many hours.. i could get it to shift from 2-6th cog.. then it wouldn't shift.. or i'd get it to shift up and down all the way and then **** it something would go wrong GAAAAHHHHHH i don't know what the f to do anymore :madman: :madman: :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my bike.. I ended up taking it to my local bike shop and they said it was mud/debris that had gotten into my derailleur cable- causing it to bind and shift like crap. They ended up replacing the cable and it works like it should now.. Sounds like you may have a similar issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK! so here is where i have gotten from reading.. and adjusting a little.. here is how it goes...

starting with high gear.. shifting down.. everything goes smooth....

shifting up to a lower gear it goes like this

(smallest cog)
1st... stays in 1st..
2nd.. stays in 1st
3rd.. goes to 2nd
4th... goes to 3rd
5th.. goes to 4th
6th... goes to 5th
7th.. jumps to 7th
(largest cog)

any help would be appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
The best trick to set it up is to shift into the smallest cog (highest gear), loosen all the cable tensioners, and loosen the cable clamp on the dérailleur then pull it as tight as you can and reclamp. Then use the cable tensioners to tighten the cable as needed. As long as your derailleur is able to shift into all gears, leave the stops alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FalloutMan said:
The best trick to set it up is to shift into the smallest cog (highest gear), loosen all the cable tensioners, and loosen the cable clamp on the dérailleur then pull it as tight as you can and reclamp. Then use the cable tensioners to tighten the cable as needed. As long as your derailleur is able to shift into all gears, leave the stops alone.
basically what i have done... thanks though... i'll try adjusting a little more
 

·
Terrain Sculptor
Joined
·
4,692 Posts
Turn on the hot water first. Then gradually add cold water until you have the desired temperature. Make sure you adjust the spray setting before you set the water temperature. Adjusting the temperature using the hot water will only frustrate you. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trail Ninja said:
Turn on the hot water first. Then gradually add cold water until you have the desired temperature. Make sure you adjust the spray setting before you set the water temperature. Adjusting the temperature using the hot water will only frustrate you. :D
so... then i get in the shower... right? or do i just let it run for awhile?:rolleyes: :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
set high and low limits.
then start on the smallest cog and start upshifting.
if it doesnt upshift, increase tension with barrel adjuster
if it shifts too many or rubs like its trying to shift, decrease cable tension.
 

·
Terrain Sculptor
Joined
·
4,692 Posts
itchmesir said:
so... then i get in the shower... right? or do i just let it run for awhile?:rolleyes: :p
Crap! I forgot that part. Do you have any water left? My well would be dry by now. It's been 15 hours. TURN THE WATER OFF!!

You'd think you'd be able to end your own thread wouldn't you?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top