Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family is planning to participate in a night ride at the end of the month put on by one of our local bike shops. The route hasn't been finalized, but it is typically on gravel/fire roads and not on tight technical trails. We have not done any night riding and need to pick up some inexpensive lights for the ride. We will need lights for my wife's and my mountain bikes, and for our sons' 24" and 20" mountain bikes. My wife also road rides and does have a Ravemen CR500 that we could use.

I've seen several posts by @MRMOLE , including this one... BEST BUDGET SELF-CONTAINED LIGHT, CECO 1000 OR ???

That has me thinking a Ravemen LR800Ps mounted to the bars of each bike might be sufficient for our needs? Is there another brand or model that you would suggest (especially if it is cheaper)? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Our family is planning to participate in a night ride at the end of the month put on by one of our local bike shops. The route hasn't been finalized, but it is typically on gravel/fire roads and not on tight technical trails. We have not done any night riding and need to pick up some inexpensive lights for the ride. We will need lights for my wife's and my mountain bikes, and for our sons' 24" and 20" mountain bikes. My wife also road rides and does have a Ravemen CR500 that we could use.

I've seen several posts by @MRMOLE , including this one... BEST BUDGET SELF-CONTAINED LIGHT, CECO 1000 OR ???

That has me thinking a Ravemen LR800Ps mounted to the bars of each bike might be sufficient for our needs? Is there another brand or model that you would suggest (especially if it is cheaper)? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
LR800P would be a good choice for you depending on how long the ride is. Ravemen's listed 1.2hr. high/1.9hr. med. is accurate and med. would be more powerful than your wife's CR500 for reference. Magicshine Allty 800 would also be a good choice (similar output with a much larger battery) but would end up slightly more expensive (with discounts).

Magicshine® Allty 800 Front Bike Light

It says there's a 10% sitewide discount currently but you can get 15% if you use "TheSweetCyclists" as a discount code. Both these lights are of similar excellent quality/output/ease of use.
Mole

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MRMOLE! I'll give the Magicshine a look, as well.

If we do end up using either one of these for some shorter night MTB rides (real single track), would that make either one the clear winner?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Thanks MRMOLE! I'll give the Magicshine a look, as well.

If we do end up using either one of these for some shorter night MTB rides (real single track), would that make either one the clear winner?
For your situation I'd go with the LR800. It has a little nicer flood beam but the main reason is its light enough to be comfortably used as a helmet light so you can use your kids lights (with a helmet mount) to enhance your trail lighting systems.
Mole

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.