Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm currently deciding on which rear tire should I buy. I'm currently running an onza ibex 26*2.4 with 50% tread life and I want to buy a new one because I didn't notice that this tire put a small hole in my frame due to constant rubbing of the side knobs. Since brand new maxxis 26er dhr 2 is not available in my area. There's someone who is offering a 2nd hand maxxis DHR 2 with 70-80% treadlife while the other offers a brand new DHF. So what tire should I buy for rear?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for imo. DHR2 will be slightly lighter if you care about that kind of thing. DHR2 will also roll better and have better braking traction. DHF will have better lateral grip and more predictable cornering i think...

Also for the rear, I'd advice against getting 3C. Get a single or dual compound tire so the sideknobs last and dont get ripped out prematurely

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's better to buy a DHR 2(90% life w/ small cracks on brake sides due to braking in coral-like rocks) than to buy a brand new DHF(skinwall)?

Btw last question. What tire is better for the rear(loose, hardpack, mud). DHF or HR2?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
So it's better to buy a DHR 2(90% life w/ small cracks on brake sides due to braking in coral-like rocks) than to buy a brand new DHF(skinwall)?

Btw last question. What tire is better for the rear(loose, hardpack, mud). DHF or HR2?
if the used tire already has the sideknobs getting shredded off, go with the new tire if the price is about the same. As for DHF over HR2, once again depends on what you're looking for. The HR2 will roll faster but the DHF will be less flicky.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/maxxis-minion-dhf-front-exo-kevlar-26-x-2.30-tubeless-ready/135926567/p

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/maxxis-minion-rear-ii-butyl-26-x-2.40-60a/120487/p

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was a dual DHF guy for a very long time until curiosity got the better of me. I finally tried a DHR2 (dual comp) on the rear this time around. Wow! Never going back. This thing hooks up on pretty much everything. A noticeable decrease in rolling resistance (which may be the dual comp instead of my usual 3c). Nice gain in traction during braking. And I may be crazy but it feels like it corners better or at least as well as the DHF did. I guess once it's over on the side knobs it should be the same as they have almost the same side knobs.
If you can save a few $ going with the used DHR2, I'd do that, unless it's too far worn. Get a new one on order then.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,815 Posts
I've ran dual DHFs at many times over the years. Recently, I had to because I bought a 2.3 and it just didn't work on my front i30 rim for turning. While the turning was great from the DHF in the rear, it rolls like crap. I replaced with a HR2 and that rolls far better, easy to tell the difference. Braking suffers with a DHF in the rear, but IME the rolling resistance is an even bigger effect.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I do agree, the hr 2 works good on front too, better than the dhf does in the back.
Just an FYI maxxis makes both a dhr2 and hr2 (highroller 2) and I see the names being used interchangeably in this thread, there is definitely a difference between the two tires. I assume that both of you mean the dhr2 based on post context though.

Also, the OP does not specify the tire widths that they are considering to replace their current tire. If they are using a 26x2.4 onza and having rubbing then there might be the same problem if they buy the same width. The dhr2 in 26 size seems to be available in 2.3 or 2.4WT width while the DHF is available in 2.3, 2.35, and 2.5 and wider.

Personally I would never buy a used tire, if the tire is already showing visible signs of wear then its probably already lost some performance as I've sworn i've had tires that looked new after many rides but were peforming worse than new. Tires are relatively cheap compared to the cost of your bike and very important, I've gone to long on a set of worn tires many times and had some bad crashes that I would not have had if I had just replaced my tires. Replacing tires when they start to lose performance should be seen as something you should do to keep safe IMO.

What front tire is being used should also be considered for what tire to decide for the rear, I assume the op is using 26x2.4 onzas front and rear but just switching the rear?

Also I just rode a bike recently with a 2.4 triple compound dhr2 front and rear (29er), people obviously like this combo but I dislike using the same front and rear because when you push the tire to its limits, you can overpower the front tire and end up crashing. With a less grippy rear tire in the same scenario, you will lose grip on the rear first and just drift out which may be recoverable and prevent a crash.

Strangely enough I was just about to post a thread asking which tire I should use with a DHR2 front to replace that tire on the rear for the reason mentioned above, i'll probably wait now though.:)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just an FYI maxxis makes both a dhr2 and hr2 (highroller 2) and I see the names being used interchangeably in this thread, there is definitely a difference between the two tires. I assume that both of you mean the dhr2 based on post context though.

Also, the OP does not specify the tire widths that they are considering to replace their current tire. If they are using a 26x2.4 onza and having rubbing then there might be the same problem if they buy the same width. The dhr2 in 26 size seems to be available in 2.3 or 2.4WT width while the DHF is available in 2.3, 2.35, and 2.5 and wider.

Personally I would never buy a used tire, if the tire is already showing visible signs of wear then its probably already lost some performance as I've sworn i've had tires that looked new after many rides but were peforming worse than new. Tires are relatively cheap compared to the cost of your bike and very important, I've gone to long on a set of worn tires many times and had some bad crashes that I would not have had if I had just replaced my tires. Replacing tires when they start to lose performance should be seen as something you should do to keep safe IMO.

What front tire is being used should also be considered for what tire to decide for the rear, I assume the op is using 26x2.4 onzas front and rear but just switching the rear?

Also I just rode a bike recently with a 2.4 triple compound dhr2 front and rear (29er), people obviously like this combo but I dislike using the same front and rear because when you push the tire to its limits, you can overpower the front tire and end up crashing. With a less grippy rear tire in the same scenario, you will lose grip on the rear first and just drift out which may be recoverable and prevent a crash.

Strangely enough I was just about to post a thread asking which tire I should use with a DHR2 front to replace that tire on the rear for the reason mentioned above, i'll probably wait now though.:)
Oops typo, I certainly meant dhr 2. My bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.