Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic from Wheels bike shop in Steamboat just got an order for 4 Pugsley's from a guy who manages ranches belonging to billionaires in Moffat county. We hooked this guy up with a handful of YETI's last summer and now he wants some snow bikes.

They will probably only get used a few times a winter by people like Dick Cheney (who already has a AS-R) for VERY short, tame rides on groomed snowmobile trails, so with this in mind I was hoping to get some advice from all you Pugsley owners.

We are thinking of getting 1 small, 2 medium's, and 1 large, stock set up as sold at QBP. I'm not sure exactly what that group kit would come with, but I'm sure a stock set up will work fine for the owner of these bikes.
I just wanted to know if anyone has any complaints about their Pugsley's and if they have had to upgrade any stock parts to make them more ride able? If you were to buy another one, what would changes would you make?
I would also love to see some pics of Pugsley's in action on different snow conditions, and if you have any links to good Pugsley threads I'll take those too. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Marko, The suggested build from QBP is fine there are 3 others here in Jackson w/ that build, I of course had to pimp mine out a bit under 31 lbs. That large is going to be laaarge but maybe to fit people like "Dick" and there ego's.Don't ever really hit these other forums but seen Pugsley as it attracts my eye. These bikes truly open doors to winter riding and have kept me rolling. I am sure you surfed through the Alaska and Surly forums where there is plentiful of knowledge and pics of fat bikes.
Jay

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Jay! I want to see some trip reports from you with your pugs. I'm already way over budget on toys for this winter, maybe I can get one next fall.
I have been checking out all the sweet bikes in the Alaska forum, those guys have their bikes dialed in! I have seen quite a few people talking about their Pugsleys here in the front range forum and I'm guessing most of them have stock set-ups, so I kinda want to hear what they think. I'll do some lookin' around in the Surly forum.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
The large is pretty big. I've got a 34" inseam and ride the 18" and it's fine. I wouldn't go bigger either. For short rides a heavy build is ok but man I'm really looking at lightening mine up for the longer trips. Anything you can do to keep the weight down that's in the budget is worth it. Also make sure they've got a 34t out back. Having a crawler gear really makes the worst snow *that* much more rideable.

There is a few pictures in my user gallery and some on my blog if you flip around.

·
Wannabe
3 Posts
Marko, the QBP Pugsley build has a triple chainring, doesn't it? My three-week old (non-QBP) Pugs with a triple exhibits some rubbing of the front derailer against the tire when I crank hard, and a few other folks have mentioned the same issue in another thread (this is my first post, and I don't know the preferred way to reference another thread, but it's at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1759713.) I don't know how common this problem is, but you may be able to finesse it by going with double chainrings.

My setup has the Shimano XT FD-M760-E derailer and FSA cranks. I'm fixin to grind off the corner of my derailer as was described in the aforementioned thread.

-Ab

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice mark. I used to have that problem on my poor boy snow bike when I was in my little chainring. I just bent the hell out of my LX derailuer and now it doesnt rub anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.