Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, really need ur professional opinions on buying a new bike..here we go.
i got my eyes set on the SPECIALIZED BIG HIT FSR III , but i have also been looking at some KONA bikes. im still pretty new to mtb and ive been riding an 05 enduro and i like the light responsive feel , but lately ive been getting air and riding more downhill and i dont know alot about bikes (at all really) but i do know im bottoming out my current bike alot!.i need a bike that i can get AIR and maybe still pedal if i really had too.Im really gravitating toward this freeriding and downhill thing.So basically the best freeride/downhill bike (possibly light) in my price range is what im looking for. freeride/downhill...is that a category.?
anyway i got some bikes listed below with links that im looking at (all the specifications included)so if u guys dont mind taking a look the help would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

SPECIALIZED
06 specialized big hit fsr lll
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06BigHit&bikeTab=techspec

KONA
06 stab deluxe
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_c...roduct_detail.aspx?productid=310&parentid=253

06 stinky deluxe
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_c...roduct_detail.aspx?productid=312&parentid=253

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Stinky Deee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
, seems like the stinky d is the unanimouse choice. thanks for the help guys!!
is kona known to make heavy bikes? cant find the wight on these bikes anywhere owell...
any other information please keep posting!

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
slimeball said:
kona known to make heavy bikes? cant find the wight on these bikes anywhere owell...
any other information please keep posting!
You are going to ride the bike right? My bike weights 39.65lbs it's my all mountain bike.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Stinky deluxe. The shock is better and i think the rims are too. Plus, watch New World Disorder 6 dvd, everyone (cept for bearclaw whos riding a demo and sx trail and a few others) is riding stinkys. If you aren't doin to crazy off stuff, you could look into a specialized sx trail. bearclaw did some crazy stuff on it in nwd6.

·
Registered
235 Posts
the bighit has better bump absorbtion and is harder to pedal than the kona (which pedals easier but may be heavier than the bighit) the stab is probly the heaviest and has the best bump absorbtion (smoothest ride) and is hardest to pedal

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Specialized is overpriced and overhyped. Most horst link designs are poorly utilized and result in a flexier rear end. The parts spec on the Bighit is not appropriate for the price. You get way more for your money with the Stinky. Stab is more of a dedicated DH bike.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Specialized is overpriced and overhyped.
I think you pay a little more to support the big corporate marketing budget but Specialized does make a lot of quality stuff.

That said, slimeball, I did a lot of research last year and was sold on a used Kona Stab Primo w/Shiver fork until I found a new/leftover Demo 9 Pro for the same price (it was a "need to sell this bike immediately" situation, I absolutely stole the thing). Kona seemed to come very highly recommended, but I've always thought the Big Hit was a great DH bike. Welcome to the DH side.

Have you narrowed it down to those two bikes, or are you open to other suggestions?

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Big Hit

I'm going with Specialized. If you like your Enduro you'll most likely feel right at home on the Big Hit. I think the '06 is hot.

·
East Coast Style
1,373 Posts
yeah id get the stinky Deelux. the new bighit looks pretty sweet, but i just personally choose kona over specialized

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
Stinky D weight

According to Konaworld.com under the tech section, the stinky D. tips the scales at 38.5 Lbs. (that is slightly less than 7 average human heads... or maybe 2 and a half adult house cats)

good luck with you search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
think ill go with the stinky D... im sure they are both good bikes but the components on stinky D look better for the price. anyway thanks for the help guys

slimeball

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
BigHit

You get a lot for your $$ with the Konas but the BigHit will handle high speed DH better and is comparable on big drops. Don't know about Kona but S has life time warranty on the frame.

I know the Horst Link (FSR) is stated to be flexly but that may be more evident in XC/all mountain format vs. true DH/FR frames. Never heard of an M-1, Turner or Azonic or other FSR DH frames being called flexy?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Definatly go with the dee-LUX. or even the stabs. I love the stinky frames, i'll be getting one soon :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hm .. you guys are saying "Dee-Lux" which is the 2005 model the link i have posted is "Delux" which is the 2006, not sure on which one u guys are suggesting

1 - 20 of 33 Posts