Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, really need ur professional opinions on buying a new bike..here we go.
i got my eyes set on the SPECIALIZED BIG HIT FSR III , but i have also been looking at some KONA bikes. im still pretty new to mtb and ive been riding an 05 enduro and i like the light responsive feel , but lately ive been getting air and riding more downhill and i dont know alot about bikes (at all really) but i do know im bottoming out my current bike alot!.i need a bike that i can get AIR and maybe still pedal if i really had too.Im really gravitating toward this freeriding and downhill thing.So basically the best freeride/downhill bike (possibly light) in my price range is what im looking for. freeride/downhill...is that a category.?
anyway i got some bikes listed below with links that im looking at (all the specifications included)so if u guys dont mind taking a look the help would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

SPECIALIZED
06 specialized big hit fsr lll
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06BigHit&bikeTab=techspec

KONA
06 stab deluxe
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_c...roduct_detail.aspx?productid=310&parentid=253

06 stinky deluxe
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_c...roduct_detail.aspx?productid=312&parentid=253

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
, seems like the stinky d is the unanimouse choice. thanks for the help guys!!
is kona known to make heavy bikes? cant find the wight on these bikes anywhere owell...
any other information please keep posting!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Stinky deluxe. The shock is better and i think the rims are too. Plus, watch New World Disorder 6 dvd, everyone (cept for bearclaw whos riding a demo and sx trail and a few others) is riding stinkys. If you aren't doin to crazy off stuff, you could look into a specialized sx trail. bearclaw did some crazy stuff on it in nwd6.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Specialized is overpriced and overhyped. Most horst link designs are poorly utilized and result in a flexier rear end. The parts spec on the Bighit is not appropriate for the price. You get way more for your money with the Stinky. Stab is more of a dedicated DH bike.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,875 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Specialized is overpriced and overhyped.
I think you pay a little more to support the big corporate marketing budget but Specialized does make a lot of quality stuff.

That said, slimeball, I did a lot of research last year and was sold on a used Kona Stab Primo w/Shiver fork until I found a new/leftover Demo 9 Pro for the same price (it was a "need to sell this bike immediately" situation, I absolutely stole the thing). Kona seemed to come very highly recommended, but I've always thought the Big Hit was a great DH bike. Welcome to the DH side.

Have you narrowed it down to those two bikes, or are you open to other suggestions?

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
Stinky D weight

According to Konaworld.com under the tech section, the stinky D. tips the scales at 38.5 Lbs. (that is slightly less than 7 average human heads... or maybe 2 and a half adult house cats)

good luck with you search.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
BigHit

You get a lot for your $$ with the Konas but the BigHit will handle high speed DH better and is comparable on big drops. Don't know about Kona but S has life time warranty on the frame.

I know the Horst Link (FSR) is stated to be flexly but that may be more evident in XC/all mountain format vs. true DH/FR frames. Never heard of an M-1, Turner or Azonic or other FSR DH frames being called flexy?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.