Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a 29er hardtail and have it narrowed down to a Kona Honzo DL or Specialized Chisel Expert. They seem very similar and I can't decide. I plan on riding mostly offroad, some hills and courses. Nothing crazy, but I want something that can handle the rougher courses as I progress. Thanks,
Paul

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,316 Posts
They’re only similar in that they are both alloy hardtails.

Those are pretty different bikes.

The Kona has a 120mm fork stock, and according to what I’ve read, and seen on the one Honzo I’ve seen IRL, works well with an even longer fork, 140mm.
The chisel has a 100mm. It’s probably good with a 120, but maybe not.
The Chisel’s Head tube is also almost 2 degrees steeper. Faster turning, but less confident on the downhills.
The Honzo has a much longer ‘front center’ than the Chisel, which is the current Flavor of the month, I dig it, but not everyone does.
The Honzo has much shorter chainstays, which is generally, like the current thoughts on front center, a good thing, but the one bike that had very short CS (Canfield Yelly Screamy) I thought 410mm(?) was too short.
There’s a lot of other dimensions, like Stack, wheelbase, bb drop, and fork offset that separate the two bikes but, In a nutshell; the Honzo is more ‘all around’ or ‘all mountain’, the Chisel is more ‘XC’ or ‘Trail’.

Both are excellent choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Same sentiments as Impetus. Two different bikes. A specialized fuse would be a closer comparison to the Honzo.

Honzo-all round trail ripper
Chisel-xc ride.

I would say the honzo is a more versatile rig and will likely have better resale value when/if you want to upgrade.

Being that this is the +bike forum I would encourage you to look at the big Honzo. Kona seems to have done a great job of designing bike specifc geo for the big honzo that addresses some of the shortfalls of a plus bike that can fit a bunch of wheel/tire combos.

Happy bike shopping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.