Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
damn man

DiRt DeViL said:
To the surprise of many basketball fans the team from Puerto Rico dismantled and manhandled the dream team in today's opener.

PUR lead for as many as 22 points and won by a 19 point margin, final score 92 to 73.

For the non believers check the details in http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/5038516/detail.html
I guess thats one US team thats not gonna earn the gold...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
You were just waiting for the chnce to use the word manhandled in a post weren't you? :D PR's basketball team has traditionally been very strong in international competition and do very well against strong teams. The problem is they alway s seem to loose to some really lame team when it really matters. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I was and if you saw the game they really kicked the NBAers butts.

USA will probably win gold but was amusing to watch all these egomaniacs faces trying to cope with defeat.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
zyzbot said:
You can't use the word "team" to describe that gaggle in the USA uniforms. They are far from it.
I think they dropped the name "Dream Team" a few years back also, and rightly so.
Congrats to Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You ain't kiddin.

USA aint a team. It's a bunch of "money money money" zealots that needed a good smacking!

Hooray for PR.

I personally hope they DONT get gold.. give that to a *TEAM* that actually deserves it

:eek:

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Please explain

DiRt DeViL said:
To the surprise of many basketball fans the team from Puerto Rico dismantled and manhandled the dream team in today's opener.

PUR lead for as many as 22 points and won by a 19 point margin, final score 92 to 73.

For the non believers check the details in http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/5038516/detail.html
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. But they represent themselves in Olympic competition? How does that work?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Acme54321 said:
I was about to say....

Don't we like own Puerto Rico or something?
I wouldn't call it "own", but they are a U.S. commonwealth. There have been several elections in Puerto Rico to gather opinions on whether or not they want statehood, independence, or to remain a commonwealth, and so far commonwealth seems to be the preference. Puerto Rico does have one representative in the House of Representatives, but he is ineligible to vote.

Is it required that you be an independent country in order to send a team to compete in the Olympics?

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Oh you guys do like my little island, they had lots

DiRt DeViL said:

of good teams before but, to beat the US team at the olympics is a tall order. I hope they at least get a medal, small island in the middle of the caribbean ocean. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth, is kind of a backwards state, we have some representation, also vote in US elections but not for the presidency. We are all US citizen, we can come to the US as we please and any US citizen can go to PR, to live or visit. This was a result, of the spanish/american war in the late 1800s can't recall the year. Then after the US won, PR stayed in limbo having a US appointed governor, then things got change about 80 years ago to what still in place today. Ok enough history for today :p

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Drewdane said:
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. But they represent themselves in Olympic competition? How does that work?
Hahah! we win in the end... :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Team USA should be ashamed to get spanked like that at the Olympics. But I doubt the players are loosing any sleep over it. I can just see Iverson at the next press conference: "Olympics?... Olympics?... You askin me about the Olympics!? This aint the playoffs dog. Whatchyou askin me about no damn O - lym - pics!"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Carlos Arroyo, pointguard and the player that leads Puerto Rico's team to victory, was born in Puerto Rico, moved at an early age to the Bronx New York, then he was adopted by a family in New Mexico and currently he is playing for the Utah Jazz with a 16 million 4 year contract. As a person born in Puerto Rico he is an US citizen with all rights and duties, as all the other puertorrican players. Not only him but 3 other players on that team have NBA or NCAA experience plus years of international basketball experience. In my opinion the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:country-region w:st=USA</st1:country-region> citizen with all rights and duties, as all the other puertoricans playing in that game yesterday.

<st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region> Olympic committee should take advantage of this and put some puertoricans players on their team I guarantee you that they will not play with vanity but with pride and all their hearths.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Pretty Much....

... like our Mexican soccer team. Thanks God they're with a foot out of Athens. They have to win the next match (against the home team!!) and cross their fingers for Mali to beat Korea's arse.

They're (my national soccer team and your NBA stars) overhyped, overpaid, overrated and a poor bunch of loosers who don't have a hint of national pride.

Larry Bird and Micheal Jordan should be still puking....

I'm not trying to degrade USA's team... but they should have easily dominated PUR.

Kudos tor PUR!!! Nice achievement!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.