Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Dave, what timing. I just got through climbing Perimeter to Pipeline through Canada Bonita and up to the ski hill. I then hauled a$$ down Camp May to home. Talk about a well-deserved descent there. Pipeline up to Canada is grueling. I did a 5 minute rest at turnoff to Quemazon and enjoyed a gel pack. Not looking forward to having to skip this little break. It is indeed going to be punishing.

I assume the course has us dragging our bikes up those 3-4 gnarly switchbacks there by that one lower dot. I can't even come close to cleaning those. I have to hold on for dear life just to drop down those.

Where is the finish? Right where pipeine hits Guaje, or will there be two-way traffic from Guaje to the finish?

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
finish should be a the ski hill. there should not be any two way traffic between guaje and finish, if there is someone still moving towards guaje., then he'd better have lights..

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
sportsman said:
finish should be a the ski hill. there should not be any two way traffic between guaje and finish, if there is someone still moving towards guaje., then he'd better have lights..
lol... true. Wasn't thinking on that last question. Are you going to SS it, Scott? What do you think about those Pueblo Canyon switchbacks... any tricks to cleaning them? Or, just pick a line, hope for the best and be ready to get off and hike!

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
ss. get off and run if I'm racing, get off and walk if I'm riding..

I've only cleared those switchbacks a handfull of times on the ss, and it has always left me gassed./ not worth it during a race with that particular climb following..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
RichardinLA said:
Dave, what timing. I just got through climbing Perimeter to Pipeline through Canada Bonita and up to the ski hill. I then hauled a$$ down Camp May to home. Talk about a well-deserved descent there. Pipeline up to Canada is grueling. I did a 5 minute rest at turnoff to Quemazon and enjoyed a gel pack. Not looking forward to having to skip this little break. It is indeed going to be punishing.

I assume the course has us dragging our bikes up those 3-4 gnarly switchbacks there by that one lower dot. I can't even come close to cleaning those. I have to hold on for dear life just to drop down those.

Where is the finish? Right where pipeine hits Guaje, or will there be two-way traffic from Guaje to the finish?
Hey Richard! The 2006 Punishment is a return to the old and infamous epic loop style race. Looks awesome, will be awesome, and hurt like a mofo. It'll be easy to underestimate even the section of Perimeter at race pace, as I found a few years ago when it was part of the course - up those switchbacks and up Pipeline to the ski area, THEN down Pajarito Canyon. Yow!

Those switchbacks ain't so bad... and if I'm thinking of the same ones, won't the race be going UP them...?

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
glenzx said:
Hey Richard! The 2006 Punishment is a return to the old and infamous epic loop style race. Looks awesome, will be awesome, and hurt like a mofo.
No doubt. I'm stoked and am excited that it's not just loops at the ski hill. I assume you'll be there??

glenzx said:
It'll be easy to underestimate even the section of Perimeter at race pace, as I found a few years ago when it was part of the course - up those switchbacks and up Pipeline to the ski area, THEN down Pajarito Canyon. Yow!
It's my understanding we're not descending Pajarito Canyon on this route, right?

glenzx said:
Those switchbacks ain't so bad... and if I'm thinking of the same ones, won't the race be going UP them...?
Those switchbacks are never easy, and some have erroded enough to become just a sea of killer rocks. As Scott mentioned, it might be easier to run up the switchbacks. I'm going to focus some training on this section though. There's also one drop down, just after the mitchell trail interestion that I'm betting will bit some serious ass. If I was a spectator, that would be a fun place to sit, with an umbrella and a cooler of beer, and watch the riders scramble down.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
RichardinLA said:
No doubt. I'm stoked and am excited that it's not just loops at the ski hill. I assume you'll be there??

It's my understanding we're not descending Pajarito Canyon on this route, right?

Those switchbacks are never easy, and some have erroded enough to become just a sea of killer rocks. As Scott mentioned, it might be easier to run up the switchbacks. I'm going to focus some training on this section though. There's also one drop down, just after the mitchell trail interestion that I'm betting will bit some serious ass. If I was a spectator, that would be a fun place to sit, with an umbrella and a cooler of beer, and watch the riders scramble down.
1) Sadly, no - the race conflicts with the NORBA Finale at the Snowmass Nationals which I have had on the calendar since january.

2) No - race finishes back at the ski area.

3) Ah! that area around Mitchell will be a fun spot to watch from indeed. As for those Perimeter switchbacks, I am so lousy off the bike, I'll (try and) ride as much as is remotely possible. Always fun when ya clear stuff then!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.