Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a puncture the other day and when i look at it ihad a 2" nail that went through the tire and out of its sidewalls, my question is if its still safe to used the tire even if it has a hole on its sidewall? im using a specialized rockster pro 2.1 foldable tire, any suggestion?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Park Tools offers a tire patch to cover those punctures. Just clean the inside of the tire, stick the patch in and I think it would be good to go. A good field expedient until you can get to a place where you can throw in the patch is to stick a dollar bill in there between the hole and the inner tube..

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info but i guess im gonna have a hardtime searching for that patch here in the philippines, do you know any other similar product? will tube patches work? :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
XC707 said:
thanks for the info but i guess im gonna have a hardtime searching for that patch here in the philippines, do you know any other similar product? will tube patches work? :)
Tube patches will wear pretty quickly. Look around on line and in the Park website. It is called the TB-1 Tire Boot.

Sadly it looks like you'll have to replace that tire after all. It is just a tool to get you back home, not a permanent replacement.

Sorry :(

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If it is just a simple puncture hole and not a tear you can use a inner tube patch on each side (inside and outside of the sidewall casing).

* If it is a cut/tear try stitching it up with dental floss. Coat lightly with contact cement and let dry completely. Then cover with patches to protect it.

* Do this repair at your own risk. I have done it on several tires with good results. YMMV.

·
Registered
308 Posts
shiggy said:
If it is just a simple puncture hole and not a tear you can use a inner tube patch on each side (inside and outside of the sidewall casing).

* If it is a cut/tear try stitching it up with dental floss. Coat lightly with contact cement and let dry completely. Then cover with patches to protect it.

* Do this repair at your own risk. I have done it on several tires with good results. YMMV.
Cool, I learn something new every day I'm around this place.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Nail whole ...

Th' Mule said:
Tube patches will wear pretty quickly. Look around on line and in the Park website. It is called the TB-1 Tire Boot.

Sadly it looks like you'll have to replace that tire after all. It is just a tool to get you back home, not a permanent replacement.

Sorry :(
A nail whole should patch just fine. They're small and symmetrical. A tire boot will take pressures off the whole and prevent it from tearing.

Honestly, if he's running his tire at low pressures and the "whole" is invisible to the eye, duct tape would probably do the job just fine.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
A nail whole should patch just fine. They're small and symmetrical. A tire boot will take pressures off the whole and prevent it from tearing.

Honestly, if he's running his tire at low pressures and the "whole" is invisible to the eye, duct tape would probably do the job just fine.
Is that the "whole" nail, the "whole" tire or the "whole" hole? :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.