Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Recently I was told that when you deflate and open the air can in fox rear shocks you then need to pump it up like 10 psi at a time to get rid of negative air.

From watching quite a few videos I haven't seen anyone do that,
Is it required?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
505 Posts
When you want to open the can, you need to deflate first. Assuming that was a typo, deflating 10 psi a time seems a bit too little. You need to deflate enough for it to not retract. If it retracts, you need to pump a little bit. Then you cycle the shock a few times (should be still fully extended when in rest), and deflate some more. Repeat until pressure is close to zero, and the shock is still fully (or almost fully) extended. Then you use a screwdriver to release the remaining air. At that point is ok if the shock retracts a little bit.

If you don't do that and open the air can, the volume on the negative chamber will expand violently and may damage your shock or hurt you.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Recently I was told that when you deflate and open the air can in fox rear shocks you then need to pump it up like 10 psi at a time to get rid of negative air.
I've been told that when reinflating the shock, you should step up in no more than 50 psi increments, with 5-7 compressions between each increment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.