Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share our Pump Track restoration process. Last year, I helped contribute to this MTBR pump track feature. I figured since there has been enough interest in the years past, I'd finally try to document our building/thought process as we maintain, and renovate the course. As of writing this, I have posted up parts 1 and parts 2, and hope to have part 3 up sometime next week.

Here's part 1:


If you have any questions feel free to leave them below. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
Nice, our spring work day's next week. Dirt, tools, and fingers crossed for weather and labor!

I suggest a leaf blower if you want to shave some time. I made that change 2 seasons ago with too much work and too little time.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest a leaf blower if you want to shave some time. I made that change 2 seasons ago with too much work and too little time.


:)
Thanks! We've used leaved blowers but they just tend to make more work for ourselves. For regular MTB trails I use a leave blower, but in this situation I prefer rakes, but that just my personal preference. Besides, I hate buying gas :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part 3 Of the PT restoration.

We cleaned up our starting area, and remove a lot of big rocks. We also cleaned up one of the berms and things are starting to come along.

I've been there filming/building this past week and things are looking really good. We should have a fresh tri-axle sized load of dirt coming to us soon! :thumbsup:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part 4 - The wrong kind of dirt.


When we ordered soil, I requested same soil as we had received the first few deliveries. Those first loads were the best soil I’ve ever worked with; it had been screened, easy to work with, kept its form, held moisture well, but was relatively resistant to erosion.

When I arrived at the pump track after this last delivery, the soil was dark grey as opposed to the deep brown I was hoping for. From my vague understanding, there are 3 main particle sizes that make up soil; clay, silt, and sand. This soil was fine enough it could have been silt, and coarse enough that it could be sand. It did have a few big chunks of clay, but the ratio was probably 95% “stuff” to 5% clay.

Hoping for the best, I built a small test roller to see how it would hold up, but the results were disappointing. This unforeseen curveball killed off our motivation. Not only did we still need to still get more material, but now we had the added task of figuring out how to dispose of the dirt.

As of right now, we don’t want to take another gamble again. So I’ve been taking a more proactive solution and actually visiting the local material suppliers and inspecting the soil myself.

So that’s where we’re at right now. It’s disappointing to have an unfinished course, and the progress is taking far longer than we had anticipated. Episode five should be the last video of the building process, at least for now, but you never know what the future will bring us.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top