Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I'll be putting in an order for a large 2010 Spot :p, coming from a large 2005 Intense 5.5 w/ RS Revelation 140 dual air. I'm fairly happy with the fork, though I too often find it's limits. Should I sell it with the Intense frame?
Also, going with a raw finish unless you convince me otherwise :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help, looking forward to (at least) five years of loving on the spot.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
If you aren't totally scared of the weight, I would strongly suggest you put a Lyrik u-turn coil on that puppy. I have been riding the dw Spot with a Revelation 150 dual air and Lyrik u-turn coil 160 (not at the same time), and the Lyrik is a perfect (read as: better) match for the bike. Then again coming from a 5.5 which is insanely steep/fast/twitchy in my experience, maybe you don't want fantabu-stable-plush and want to keep it mainly XC. Of course you can dial the Lyrik down to 140 for general cruising, but racking it out to 160 for going down is something you should experience before you die. Note: I would NOT recommend the Lyrik 2-Step which despite much tuning and oil changes was never plush enough to compliment the Spot.

Raw is the only (non) color to buy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
expatrider said:
Get rid of the 140 fork. Go with a 150 or 160. Don't worry about travel adjust feature - you won't use it.
I don't know. There have been a few really tight switchbacks were a travel adjustable fork would have saved me from dabbing. Totally agree on the 150. I'm going to try a Revelation Ti when they become available.

·
Registered
839 Posts
tscheezy said:
Of course you can dial the Lyrik down to 140 for general cruising, but racking it out to 160 for going down is something you should experience before you die.
+1

Tscheezy how long you had the DW Spot?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Dr_Jekyll said:
Love that picture Dibbs.... where is it??
On a high traverse between Tignes and Sainte Foy (near Bourg St Maurice)

Heading back there this weekend - all the lifts are open, WOOHOO! :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
tscheezy said:
If you aren't totally scared of the weight, I would strongly suggest you put a Lyrik u-turn coil on that puppy. I have been riding the dw Spot with a Revelation 150 dual air and Lyrik u-turn coil 160 (not at the same time), and the Lyrik is a perfect (read as: better) match for the bike. Then again coming from a 5.5 which is insanely steep/fast/twitchy in my experience, maybe you don't want fantabu-stable-plush and want to keep it mainly XC. Of course you can dial the Lyrik down to 140 for general cruising, but racking it out to 160 for going down is something you should experience before you die. Note: I would NOT recommend the Lyrik 2-Step which despite much tuning and oil changes was never plush enough to compliment the Spot.

Raw is the only (non) color to buy.
Tscheezy,

How would the Fox Vanilla 160mm 36 fit into the picture? If one could get it at dealers cost???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yha on mine I use 140 all the time even though I have travel adjustment. I think the bike rides great at 140, although I can totally see having 150 or 160. But on steep climbs you'll want to dial it down or risk having too much weight over the rear causing 'bob' You can always get a 150 and space it down to 140.

Raw finish is a personal thing, but you can always send it back in for rebuild and get it painted later on!

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The order is in for a new Spot!!! Thanks to ignazjr at Redstone Cycles for an unbeatable deal. Test rode a medium at Sunnyside Bikes in San Rafael, Ca. They did an awesome job of helping size me, further confirming the general consensus in another thread that I'd need a large at 5'10.
Thanks again to the Turner forum for the help. Ooh baby I like it raw...

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pics of mine will take a few weeks. I'll post pics of my wallet instead.

·
Registered
273 Posts
ive been riding mine since last yr.and as far as color raw is nice but over the winter when its hangin, polish it with mothers or a similar polish although mothers alum. polish is the best ive found . ive had several polished and raw frames and polished is awesome and easy to maintain ,wish they still offered ball burnished,like the old days. also think about personalizing it with a diffrent headbadge and maybe have a waterbottle bracket mt under the downtube and no stickers on side maybe 1 under the downtube .if your waiting for the next batch youll have time to think about things and talk to [email protected] bikes.hes a great guy. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
273 Posts
Fork

i have been using a 09 36 talas rc2 and absolutly love it ,i run 140 when cruising up or on tighter trails ,rarely use 100 but there is a few hills it comes in handy on and 160 is the onlyway down . the new talas is 140 /160rc2 or 140 /180 i think but 140 /160 is all youll ever need but 180 would probably be able to be effective .:thumbsup:

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
+1 to Redstone, DWL Spot, 150 fork. Dave hooked me up on a great deal, great build, in 5 days notice. He also builds great wheels and put extra love into the Flows nipples, if you know what I mean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts