Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chariot Cougar kiddie trailer attaches to the bike at the dropout. This wouldn't be a problem but the Surly dropouts (fork ends) have a flange around the fork end making it difficult to mount the trailer attachment. Anyone have any ideas for a solution?

OK, here's where I must admit my faults....I recently purchased a 2nd KM to use with gears so I could go on 'family' rides pulling my daughter (my other KM is a SS....I promise). So I need to run the wheel all the way forward in the fork end for proper shifting.

Could I mount the attachment to the rear of the fork end....not even attached to the wheel/axle/qr?

Or attach something like a spacer to the qr so that I mount the attachment over the flange....but that might bend the qr?

Oh, and I'm running discs, but I don't think that should make it more difficult.

I contacted Chariot and they didn't have any solutions.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I pull the same trailer with my 1x1. For that the best solution is to have the wheel axle as much backward as possible. I hear you about the shifting thing, so I guess it's a dilemma for you... I wouldn't attach it to anything else than the wheel axle however, too many chances that it could slip away, although there is a security strap.

You could try a spacer that would shift the attachment gizmo away from the dropout flanges. Like a stack of washers. Or go singlespeed and be done with it ;)

Maurice

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maurice said:
I pull the same trailer with my 1x1. For that the best solution is to have the wheel axle as much backward as possible. I hear you about the shifting thing, so I guess it's a dilemma for you... I wouldn't attach it to anything else than the wheel axle however, too many chances that it could slip away, although there is a security strap.

You could try a spacer that would shift the attachment gizmo away from the dropout flanges. Like a stack of washers. Or go singlespeed and be done with it ;)

Maurice
I wondered about the slipping if the attachment isn't w/ the wheel, do you think a stout nut/bolt setup could hold it in place securely?

Do you think the qr/spacer thing could be done successfully w/out bending the qr...I think this would be the best/cleanest/easiest solution.

I pulled her on SS for a while, but the hills are steep and especially this time of year they are washed out with all the winter snow runoff. Not a problem normally, but when I have to stand and power through something on the SS it can get bumpy for my little girl, and with the geared bike I can really pick my lines better and make it a much smoother ride for her.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nut&bolt

Maybe... here's what you can do: take a steel plate and drill a couple holes in it, one for the wheel axle, the other for the trailer attachment. Then line up those holes in the dropout. This way there's less chance of slippage. Or if you have a tuggnut laying around it looks like it could represent the perfect linkage: front hole for wheel, back hole for trailer.

HTH,

Maurice

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Older chainstay style attachment

Maurice said:
Maybe... here's what you can do: take a steel plate and drill a couple holes in it, one for the wheel axle, the other for the trailer attachment. Then line up those holes in the dropout. This way there's less chance of slippage. Or if you have a tuggnut laying around it looks like it could represent the perfect linkage: front hole for wheel, back hole for trailer.

HTH,

Maurice
I have a Chariot Cabriolet and it has the older style of attachment that clamps to the chainstay. I'm pretty sure these are still available from Chariot and are compatible with the towing arm on the newer trailers They should work with just about any normal frame configuration (ie bikes with chainstays).

I had my little guy out for a ride the other day, too, and guess what... mud gets through the screen if the plastic cover is not in place!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Do they make a QR-style

attachment similar to Burley? I'm having the exact same issues on my KM/Burley combo. I know - then you need a QR-style hub.

Not sure about Chariot but the Burley stay mounted version will not work with discs.

For the meantime the Burley remains in running stroller formation.

Sean

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soupboy said:
attachment similar to Burley? I'm having the exact same issues on my KM/Burley combo. I know - then you need a QR-style hub.

Not sure about Chariot but the Burley stay mounted version will not work with discs.

For the meantime the Burley remains in running stroller formation.

Sean
It is intended as a qr attachment...I have not seen the Burley attachment, but I'd assume it's similar. But I used my attachment just fine with my Phil Wood hubs that are bolt-ons, but that was SS use and I could position the rear wheel further back in the fork end.

I'm not sure either about the stay mount attachment, but I assume it would interfere with the discs too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eno Eccentric and Chariot?

Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone used an ENO eccentric and a Chariot axle mount sucessfully? I asked both White Industries and Chariot but both could not give me an answer if it would work. I would love to ENO my Blizzard but I love cycling with my little girl more. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Higbee said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone used an ENO eccentric and a Chariot axle mount sucessfully? I asked both White Industries and Chariot but both could not give me an answer if it would work. I would love to ENO my Blizzard but I love cycling with my little girl more. Thanks for any info.
The Eno bolts are pretty darn short. With longer bolts, sure why not?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.