Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the link to my screamin' deal:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=137806

I have been riding a Stumpy HT for two years now and feel I want to give full boing a try. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but here are a few to start:

Travel: Do most of you ML users leave the shock in the 5" position? If so, what travel fork are you using? For background, I ride with a pretty quick but non-racer group who prefer XC type rides, but we ride New England, so there are plenty of opportunities for rock gardens to play in. Southern New England (Big River in RI, Salem River State Forest in CT, Hartman Park in CT, Bluff Point is right in my backyard), so not a ton of sustained climbing, lots of rolling terrain.

I'm planning on running the new "compact mountain" crank from Shimano with a 22/36/Bash setup. I currently run a 22/32/44 with an 11-34 cassette. Will I notice a difference if I switch to 11-32 with the 22/36/Bash setup, in climbing? I'm hoping to run a shorter chain rear derailleur. Also, does anyone know if any other manufacturers offer the opportunity to run similar 2 chainring bashguard fronts in a cross country type crank? I honestly almost never find myself using my 44, except when I ride the road to Bluff Point from my front door, and I imagine that going with a 36 or 38 tooth front would be more than enough for roads, fire roads, rails/trails, etc. Pretty much only hit those to get to single track or on epics, and they tend to be a short part of the overall ride.

Like I say, I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's it for now.

Regards,
David B.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think you'll love the ML. Personally I'd put it in the rear suspension to 5" and never look back. IMO, the ML (even on the 5") is not that squishy bottomless soft tail you might think it is (even coming from an HT).

I have the Fox Talas RLC 100-140mm. For me the bike seems to work best in the 120mm for general use. I go down to 100mm only for the severest of climbs, and up to the 140mm for extended downhills or rides with drops and jumps.

I run the 11-34 cassette....seems like always wish I had another gear, hard to imagine having less (but I guess that depends on your strength and trail type). The ML is a climber for sure...I'm continually amazed at its ability to get up and get up fast.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The ML is a great bike for East Coast woods ridding. I have not ridden a bike that can climb technical stuff better than a ML (have heard a EG is really good!).

My opinion is that with 25% sag, a 140mm fork is not too bad for almost all ridding. 120mm just seems a little too short. If I had my say, I would recommend a U-turn type of fork and set it at 130mm and be happy.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huskerXCrider said:
Any pics? The link did not show anything. Just got a new ML myself....hoping to get out for the first ride this week sometime. Really lookin forward to tearing up some trails in 09! Enjoy!
Sorry, apparently I bought the last frame, so the link is now dead. It's an '08 in Mango, picked it up on closeout for $1095.

David B.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Search back to a thread I started a month ago, someone had a pretty good theory there. Seems like the rage is DW-linkages nowadays. Heck if someone made one in Ti, I might even go to the darkside.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm running my 07 motolite II in the 5" travel mode firmest setting on the RP23. I just replaced my big ring with a race face bash guard and not missing it at all. Mostly run the fork on the 140 setting. Just switched tires to a 2.1 rear and 2.3 up front- bmx style. Great ride for New England type terrain.

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Since you have the opportuniy to choose, I'd consider a fork with a TA like the Maxle Reba' Viking & DVD are running. that would really make difference through the roots and rock gardens.

Congrats on the new ride, the colour is really nice.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update - The UPS Man Came!

I'll post pics when I can, I think what I'll be doing is starting a build thread, both to share my excitement over the build and to ask questions.

I also ordered a 32-Talas from Bob's Bicycles. That hasn't come yet, I went ahead and paid the upcharge for the Mango color in the free CK headset that comes with. I know I plan on building UST wheels around CK hubs (mango) and running a 22/36/bash crank. Shimano has a slightly heavy one available in the SLX series, but I'll be asking here for a way to make my own lighter one with rings changed from a triple like Race Face or FSA. I'm not going for a complete weight weenie build, but definitely want to end up on the lighter, XC end of the spectrum, but I am pretty sure I will be paying the weight penalty for a Crank Bro's Joplin adjustable seatpost.

Well, just wanted to share the good news!

David B.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Those mango wheels are going to look awesome.

I'm pretty sure that you can't get the Joplin in size 27.2, which is what you'll need for the MotoLite. You can use the AMP or Gravity Dropper however. I have the AMP on mine - works great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.