Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've just been to my LBS and have bought a set of Lyrik Coil forks. They're 2009 issue and i think i've done well to get them for £575. It was a toss up between these or a pair of 2009 2 Step's (£650) which i have to say i was really taken with, what with them being white to match my frame. i stood in the shop for 15 minutes holding both trying to decide which one's to get, but in the end i struggled to accept the likely posibility of the 2 Step's going wrong. i know that RS have a reputedly excellent customer service department, but that's of no use when i'm left stranded at the far side of Afan or in Chatel when i've got to get back to Morzine!!

The forks are still in my car at the mo and i'm still comtemplating whether i've done the right thing!!

Pros & Cons:

Coil
Pros - reliable, fit and forget, plush, haven't read too many negative threads on them. can be set to any travel (160 to 115)

Cons - weight, black finish, some compromise on spring (ie. only three spring options), slow travel adjust

2 Step
Pros - weight, white finish, quick travel adjust, greater spring adjustability. can be converted to coil if needed.

Cons - many concerns over reliability, only 160 OR 115mm, bike off travel whilst forks being fixed, not as plush as coil

What do you think? Should i stay with the coil or return and replace with the 2 Step?? i know it's vain, but i really did dig the white! But enough to outweight the reliability issue???

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I bought the coil Lyric last summer, rode for two weeks in Morzine, Chatel, LesGets fantastic never missed a beat, if your around 80kg standard spring, 90kg firm spring, I'm running the firm spring, they are stiff and track well I have them on my 07 Heckler, I had a Pike before and there is no comparison, far far superior.
If I'm climbing I tend to use the lock out, set so it blows off more like a pro pedal.
If its a super long fire road, I wind them in to 145mm only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jeffus. I'm about 85kg all kitted up so i'll stick with the standard spring for the tiime being. I've currently got a Pike 454 Air U turn on the Heckler at the moment so i'm expecting a noticeable change!

I know i makes sense to have gone for the coil. i just need to get them on the bike and give it a blast. I'll see what the weathers upto weekend after next and maybe try to get to Llandegla.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Not had any creaking from mine(08 Lyric) as yet 7-8 months riding, did some serious stuff in the Alps, performed fine, maybe it was a bad batch, it does happen.
My daughters bike has a Marzocchi xc600 and that has stuck down several times and been back under warranty turns out it was a bad batch.
it would be nice to have reliable products for the amount of money we spend for our fun.

·
Registered
471 Posts
other aardvark said:
A mate of mine was running the o8 Lyric coil and loved the fork until it started creaking at the crown. He got a new uppers for free but decided to sell them because he found evidence that this was a fairly common problem.
It was fairly common on early forks, but totally fixed with new uppers. All current new forks do ot have this problem.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
... I ride the lyric since sommer 2006 on my freeride bike and I am very happy with it, no creaking , no loose bushings, perfect !!
have the standard spring for 200lbs rider weight, geared and it fits very good.....its a 1.5, U-TURN so there is no way to give it a try on my heckler...
think the coil version is a good decision.....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
BLUR'b said:
I know i makes sense to have gone for the coil. i just need to get them on the bike and give it a blast. I'll see what the weathers upto weekend after next and maybe try to get to Llandegla.

Cheers
It will snow that weekend , it is my Birthday , always seems to snow on my Birthday :D

I'm supposed to be doing a jumps n drops course this Sunday but it's cancelled too much snow :eek:

The wooded board walk on the red route is a doddle with the Lyric you hardly feel any bumps over the logs.:thumbsup:

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
If you bought a set of Lyriks why did you buy 2 Coil?? I would def take one of the coil ones back and pick up a Solo Air.

PS- I know what you meant, but couldn;t resist the irony

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a set of coil Lyriks on my Nomad and i regularly ride Llandegla, Coed Y Brenin and i've been up to the 7 Stanes in Scotland and i love them to bits.If youve got a coil shock on the rear then they are a perfect match.I too lock the Lyriks on the climbs i find that really handy.I've also had Fox 36's both the 150 air ones and the new 160 coil ones but in my opinion i think the Lyriks are better so stick with them you won't be sorry.Here's how mine looks with them on:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
-Fly you fools!-
203 Posts
other aardvark said:
A mate of mine was running the o8 Lyric coil and loved the fork until it started creaking at the crown. He got a new uppers for free but decided to sell them because he found evidence that this was a fairly common problem.
Hmmm...I have an '08 coil Lyrik and have had a mysterious creaking sounding from the top of the stanchions or headset crown area. I looked for something when it first happened but couldn't find anything, so guess I looked too soon! Maybe I'll look into get some new uppers before the prime riding weather comes in!

·
-Fly you fools!-
203 Posts
For anybody else interested in the creak problem, I hit up Rock Shox and some new uppers are there way! They said they had come type of customer recall that basically if you complain they'll send you new uppers, so if your having that problem give them a call.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts