Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My big ring is largely unused and is starting to get pretty tweaked from the rock poundings it is subjected to.

Do you run a big ring on your trail bike? If not, do you have to run a bash guard to keep the chain on? Bash guard recommended?

Not really a weight issue, more of an issue of me not wanting my calf/shin to meet up with the teeth that have been ground into razor sharp flesh eaters.

Thoughts?

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.thumper. said:
One of the first thing I did with my new Enduro trail bike was to remove the big ring and replace with a bash ring. If you have been pounding your big ring in the past and you don't install a bash ring, your middle ring will start to take the pounding.
Good point(s). I was just thinking losing the big ring would give me another inch or so of clearance, but I'm sure you are right the middle would soon start to suffer.

Any bash guard recommendations? Looking for something lighter, less burly as this is just a trail bike, no DH super-huck type stuff.

·
ride, eat, live
238 Posts
Jdub said:
Good point(s). I was just thinking losing the big ring would give me another inch or so of clearance, but I'm sure you are right the middle would soon start to suffer.

Any bash guard recommendations? Looking for something lighter, less burly as this is just a trail bike, no DH super-huck type stuff.
First, I HIGHLY recommend losing the big ring. I never used it and it would get whacked trying to clear tech stuff, it was bent towards the middle ring and effing up my shifting....go with the bash guard IMHO

Race Face and TruVative make pretty light ones, i have used both bashgurads and they are basically the same (weight difference small).

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
What everybpady else said...lost the big ring and rarely miss it, mostly on road sections when I'm completing some big loop. And it gives you a bit more confidence on things were normally your big ring would hit.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I use my big ring frequently and wouldn't want to be without it, but if you don't use it then lose it & replace it with a bash guard or bash ring. If you want to keep the ring you can still fit a bash ring over it, like the Salsa or E-12. Larry has them.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I came to the conclusion years ago that there was no sense in keeping a ring on my bike that was so toasted that it would only destroy my chain (and the rest of my drivetrain in the process) if I dared to shift into it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
keep the ring until it fouls up the shifting like the above said...

then scrap it and get the bash guard.

just remember to never shift onto it! you may be able to adjust the front der stop to help you remember

mike, still lovin the new ride, wildman

·
Registered
812 Posts
Chainguide

Two rings with a bash is nice but I would get a 2 ring chainguide like E13 DRS or the MRP LRP. You will get more chain tension and if it's setup right you will never drop a chain. I think the best combo of rings is a 24 tooth with a 36, you can run more than a 12 tooth difference but it makes shifting not as smooth. I've tried a few different combo's and the 24, 36 is money!

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Don't need a big ring

If you're not using it, lose it. I had an XTR crankset that kept trying to remove some of my calf, so I swapped it out for a RF Deus with a bash. I still have the big ring. It's sitting unused in my toolbox :p

When I rode a hardtail or short travel bike, I used the big ring. Now that I'm on a 5" travel bike, I never use it and never miss it. Just an observation. It's probably because I get slower and fatter everyday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I stopped using big rings years ago. The only reason you need a 44 tooth chainring is for the road or the Kamikazee. I have run 24t to 38t with no problem but am currently running a 36t big and have had no complaints. I have been using a grip shift front shifter so that i can have a little micro adjust. E-13 bashgaurd is light and durable. If you have a long travel rear suspension (6" or more) I would also recommend some type of chain-tensioning device as well (E-13 DRS or LRP). You do not have to worry about shifting up onto your changuide on accident because your derailluer has a high limmit screw so you can adjust the high shift right out. Also instead of putting your chain in small cog small chainring to get your chainleangth, go big cog big chainring (formerly the middle) and pull your rear derailleur almost completely extended. Make sure it's not so tight that it locks up. This will minimize rear derailleur slap from too much chain slack.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
When I rode a hardtail or short travel bike, I used the big ring. Now that I'm on a 5" travel bike, I never use it and never miss it. Just an observation.
Ironic. I use my big ring more on my 6-Pack than I ever did on my Hammerhead because the bike is so much more stable at speed and I find myself descending faster & faster. I would have no problem losing it on the HH but I think I'd miss it on the Pack.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
JDUB, lose the big ring adjust your front deraileur limit screw to keep you from shifting onto a bashguard, and don't look back. It also helps if the bashguard you get looks cool. This one is home made.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Renegade said:
It also helps if the bashguard you get looks cool. This one is home made.
Home made? You must have a serious machine shop in your garage then...That looks like it was milled, where as my home made bash guard would likely be fashioned out of some corrugated metal and a pair of tin snips... :)

I've decided to definitely ditch the Squeaky, err I mean big, ring and go the bash guard route. I'm riding a 4.5" travel frame and I've only used big ring once or twice on the trails, mainly just use it on the road.

Thanks for the suggestions all, ding dong the big ring is dead.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Jdub said:
Home made? You must have a serious machine shop in your garage then...That looks like it was milled, where as my home made bash guard would likely be fashioned out of some corrugated metal and a pair of tin snips... :)

okay, perhaps I should rephrase that. I made it at work; I'm a machinist, and yes, it was done on a cnc milling machine.

chicks dig bashrings! :D

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
It's tough being the lone dissenter.
I have no aversion to bash guards but think I'd miss the big ring. Maybe not, I dunno. Larry, Sean and the rest of the gang all have the big ring if that tells you anything.

Renny....nice machine work. Maybe you could mill out your RFX to look more like a 6-Pack. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.