Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some honest opinions on this I am doing The Bear 100 on Memorial Day weekend an I have my pugsly with 120tpi nates and my 29er hard tail that I put on Giant 700-40 c p-px2 tires. Kind of making the hard tail a gravel bike. I like riding both bikes and I know the hard tail would be easier to peddle. But would there be better rolling tires than the nates? I have the 27 tpi nates that came on the bike with only 30 miles on them that I could sell or trade. I bought my pugsly last fall and did some single tracks with it and then rode it during the winter.
And the weekend before is the RASTA RALLY a shameless plug for it.

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll agree. Floyd's are fast. Play with the pressure. 20 psi and they roll like grease lightening. Lower will be more comfortable and float better but not as fast. They wear very well...

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I'll agree. Floyd's are fast. Play with the pressure. 20 psi and they roll like grease lightening. Lower will be more comfortable and float better but not as fast. They wear very well...
I'm a BF fan too. I'd suggest be careful using high pressure (never thought I'd call 20psi high pressure :) ) if there's loose gravel. I run 8psi on mine.

Best to experiment with some different pressures before arriving at a fast downhill gravel corner...

I've done a variety of rides with them on terrain and tracks that they were not designed for, and can't fault them - just ride with awareness of their few limitations.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Best to experiment with some different pressures before arriving at a fast downhill gravel corner...
I totally agree. 20psi would be way too much for a fast ( or slow ) downhill gravel corner. 8-10 psi would seem far better. I find 18 rear and 15 front comfortable while still rolling well with a lot of control. I'm not doing any fast loose up/down hill though. If I were the psi would drop.

Like Velo said experiment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the 27 tpi nates that came on the bike with only 30 miles on them that I could sell or trade. If you end up selling the 27 tpi Nates please PM me. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the Bear last year on my Mukluk with Larry's around 15psi and had no problems. I have been eyeing up the Floyd's for awhile now as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts