Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 26" rear disc rim with a Rohloff in it as well as a spare rear disc/cassette wheel w/ 26" rim. I was wondering if I threw on a set of 2.25" Marathon XRs if the resulting wheel set would be tall enough to use on my Pugsley?

I thought I'd ask here if anyone had tried it before I noodle too long about it and/spend the $$ on some fat XRs for a test.

I ask because my buddy Kurt just got a Pugsley built up and wants to use her as a touring bike next summer with some other wheels. I know 29er wheels would work, but we both have 26" disc wheels kicking around we could use so that would be ideal - plus it would make the tall Pugsley a bit lower which is cool for road touring use - if the BB doesn't end up too low.

If anyone has tried this or figured out if it works/doesn't work I'd love to hear your comments.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
vikb said:
I've got a 26" rear disc rim with a Rohloff in it as well as a spare rear disc/cassette wheel w/ 26" rim. I was wondering if I threw on a set of 2.25" Marathon XRs if the resulting wheel set would be tall enough to use on my Pugsley?

I thought I'd ask here if anyone had tried it before I noodle too long about it and/spend the $$ on some fat XRs for a test.

I ask because my buddy Kurt just got a Pugsley built up and wants to use her as a touring bike next summer with some other wheels. I know 29er wheels would work, but we both have 26" disc wheels kicking around we could use so that would be ideal - plus it would make the tall Pugsley a bit lower which is cool for road touring use - if the BB doesn't end up too low.

If anyone has tried this or figured out if it works/doesn't work I'd love to hear your comments.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
You'd probably be alright but you would notice the bike being lower. I tried some Arrow 3.0s on mine this past summer and was smacking the pedals on things I never had problems with on the Endos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Schmucker said:
I think it's a bad idea. You're better off just going with a 700c wheelset and running 29" tires. The BB will be too low and the geometry won't be very good.
The issue with the 29er wheels is I have a 26" Rohloff wheel that would be ideal for a touring Pugsley if the BB wasn't too low. But, you are right the 26" wheel + 2.25" tire may still be too low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
vikb said:
The issue with the 29er wheels is I have a 26" Rohloff wheel that would be ideal for a touring Pugsley if the BB wasn't too low. But, you are right the 26" wheel + 2.25" tire may still be too low.
You might just have to lace the hub to a new rim. Your cheapest option may be to just put a tall 3.0 tire on and cut all the knobs off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Schmucker said:
You might just have to lace the hub to a new rim. Your cheapest option may be to just put a tall 3.0 tire on and cut all the knobs off.
I use my Rohloffs on more than one bike so I won't be changing the 26" Rohloff wheel. If the 2.25" XRs on a 26" rim don't work I'll either build up a second Alfine wheel in a 29er rim or just run a derailleur [gasp!]...;)

I measured my Endomorphs and they are about 72cm in diameter. From the Schwalbe website the approximate diameter of 26 x 2.25" XRs is 67cm. That seems reasonable since my 26 x 2.0" XRs on my Surly Big Dummy are about 65.5cm in diameter.

So the BB drop from Endos to XRs will be 5cm/2 = 2.5cm or 1". In theory!....:eekster:

That may be worth spending the $$$ on some 26" x 2.25" XRs to try out. Worst case I keep 'em and use 'em on one of my other bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
I think your biggest problem will be wheel dish. Are you going to be able to redish your old 26er rims enough to center them in the frame? Just cut the spokes and relace your hubs to 29er rims. With 29er rims you have lots of touring tire choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
richwolf said:
I think your biggest problem will be wheel dish. Are you going to be able to redish your old 26er rims enough to center them in the frame? Just cut the spokes and relace your hubs to 29er rims. With 29er rims you have lots of touring tire choices.
I had forgotten about the extra dish - doh!...:eekster: So using my existing 26" wheels is out. Thanks for pointing that out to me...:thumbsup:

I guess a dedicated set of 29er wheels is in order.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top