Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my pugsley all built up except for the wheels. The distributor has been out of the large Marge wheels( SS front/XT Disc Rear) for three weeks now. I know I can build a wheel set instead of waiting for it to come back in stock but it is cheaper for me to buy it built. If it doesn't come back in stock by this weeks end I'll then consider building it . But man, almost a month now and still not in stock, is it because of the bike show?

Cheers,
Redster

·
Registered
933 Posts
Um, not sure who your source is, but as all surly wheels come from QBP, and given that we have had no issues ordering the pugsley stuff from them over the last month, I believe you should re-source.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Red is correct that QBP is out of Pugsley offset, complete wheels. They should be back in stock within a week or two, according to their estimated arrival date.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out this morning that the XT hub/large Marge wheel is now discontinued and the 32 hole offset rim is out of stock. Fat Sheba offset is out of stock at QBP. What's instock are the 36 offset and 32 XC LArge Marge offset. I sure like them XC version but it's SOOOO expensive.

I am mostly going to use the bike for trail riding than snow and sand (Will ride it in the beach around my area) Would a single wall hold up for trail riding? What are my other offset rim alternatives.

Cheers,
Redster

·
Registered
306 Posts
yeah, i had trouble getting the 32h DH last week, so I went with the 36h from Bikeman, i think. it kinda worked out cause 32h alfine hubs are also out of stock everywhere as well, which is what i was planning for the rear hub. i think i got the last 36h alfine kit that Harris had in stock.
Good Luck!
Alan

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
aljee said:
yeah, i had trouble getting the 32h DH last week, so I went with the 36h from Bikeman, i think. it kinda worked out cause 32h alfine hubs are also out of stock everywhere as well, which is what i was planning for the rear hub. i think i got the last 36h alfine kit that Harris had in stock.
Good Luck!
Alan
Yup, I was going to recommend Bikeman, but they're not showing any stock on built wheels.

Funny, I was told yesterday that Shimano Canada was out of 32 hole black Alfines. Good thing I was after a 36.

C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like Surly is replacing the offset Large Marge dH with something lighter and it's for 2010. The old Large Marge is not even in stock that's why the SS wheels and the XT wheel (now discontinued) haven't been in stock. So I bit the bullet and ordered the XC Large Marge and Surly SS disc hub. I have an old disc freehub here somewhere to complete the wheel build. Them XC version is way expensive but it is lighter,so I am hoping to have my 16" Pugsley be somewhat lighter.

Cheers,
Redster

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
redster0229 said:
Looks like Surly is replacing the offset Large Marge dH with something lighter and it's for 2010. The old Large Marge is not even in stock that's why the SS wheels and the XT wheel (now discontinued) haven't been in stock. So I bit the bullet and ordered the XC Large Marge and Surly SS disc hub. I have an old disc freehub here somewhere to complete the wheel build. Them XC version is way expensive but it is lighter,so I am hoping to have my 16" Pugsley be somewhat lighter.

Cheers,
Redster

Cool. In a few months you won't remember spending the money, but you'll have that sweet wheelset for a long time.

But what I really hear when I read you post is that Interbike's gonna be exciting for Pugs owners. ;)

C.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same news here from my lbs - 12/15. They said that the change was that the rims would now be welded at the joint instead of pinned. That was the only change that they knew of. Anyone heard something different?

--Rob

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
That is why I went with the Speedway Cycles 70mm rims. After a few rides, I have no complaints....plus they are are 1.6 lbs/pair lighter than the LM XC.

I

·
0 Posts
Bikeman had about 6 Vicious offset rims in stock as of Friday. I saw them with my own eyes. Give 'em a call.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts