Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the only solution I've come up with to carrying my Pugs is to use a dangly-style reciver mount rack. In general, I don't like those kind of racks, because it is hard to carry bikes with odd style frames without special adapters, the frames want to hit together, the bikes hang too low when crossing gullies off road, etc, etc.

In short I'd like to be able to carry my Pugs on a roof rack. The problem is that the fork is 135 mm so it doesn't fit. I think someone with a machine shop could make a longer roof rack skewer plus a tubular 35 mm spacer to install on the right side of the rack. The spacer could be slid inwards to fit a pugsley fork and slid to the outside of a regular fork. An oversized toe strap should hold the rear wheel on fine.

Does anyone have interest in making these parts or do you know someone who would want to do it?

I'd like to see a wider wheel tray that could fit in my SportWorks rack as well, but that would be a little bit more of a challenge to make a tray that would fit tires from 4 inches down to 1 inch wide road bike tires. I think it could be done, though.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
I was thinking about using a rear skewer and some spacers to make the front tire fit my yakima carrier. The one I have is the tray style and it looks like the rear strap is plenty big to handle the Pugs tire. I was just thinking about flattening it out a bit to make the tires fit. But its a V shape so it should still hold the skinny tires fine. Surly would make a killing putting out a Pugs specific rack because they're gonna sell a ton of these.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent some pictures of the bolt in my Yakima Viper rack to Renegade and he's looking at fabricating pieces that will work.

The Viper seems to be a good candidate to me because the new part would be the bolt. The old lever/lock mechanism would be unchanged, so both kinds of forks could be locked on the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
That's funny, I almost posted the exact same thing this afternoon! My problem is that I have a pick up truck, so I want to use one of those $15 mounts that you attach to a 2x4. After thinking of several ideas, I'm going to take an existing mount that I have, drill it out slightly to accept a rear hub axle. put a spacer in and then the axle nuts on the end. Finally, use a normal rear QR and it's done. It shouldn't be too much trouble.

For your problem, how about a rack from rocky mounts? They look like you could modify those easier than some of the other name brand ones.

Chris

·
TallahasseeTrails
61 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I sent some pictures of the bolt in my Yakima Viper rack to Renegade and he's looking at fabricating pieces that will work.

The Viper seems to be a good candidate to me because the new part would be the bolt. The old lever/lock mechanism would be unchanged, so both kinds of forks could be locked on the rack.
Bob,
I've been using my Yakima Viper to carry my Pugsley for several weeks. I hit up the Home Depot for a 6" X 5/16" galvanized bolt, galv washers for "inside fork spacers," and a hex nut w/washer to tighten it all down. It's definitely less clean and convenient than getting Yakima or someone to provide a ~35mm longer "factory" bolt. I don't have that lockability that I had with the factory bolt. It's secure, and I've had no problems.
As to securing that Large Marge/Endomorph rear tire, I use a couple fat purple nylon dog collars from the pet store, cinch 'em down tight. The tire sits quite still, never moves at all when strapped this way.
A fat cable and big padlock secure everything as always to the Yakima bar. Slows down a thief a little, I suppose.
Btw, please feel free to nag Yakima to produce a 35mm longer "Pugs" bolt.
Thanks for posting on this topic.
Btw, for now my Pugsley has completely replaced my 11 pound lighter Stumpy FSR for ALL of my riding. P-Snoop loves leading XC Cross Country (foot) races, absolutely railing twisty singletrack, and just commuting.
John

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TallahasseeTrails said:
...Btw, please feel free to nag Yakima to produce a +135mm Pugs bolt...
John
Nice work. My parents always said locks are to keep honest people honest anyway. I would like to be able to use the original clamp, but this sounds like a short term solution anyway.

I'm going to fire off an email to Yakima and I suggest anyone else interested does too.

[email protected] is what I found for an email address.

·
TallahasseeTrails
61 Posts
I just sent the following to [email protected] with the subject header "Viper Adaptation for 135mm-Spaced Fork"

Folks,
I've been using my Viper to transport my Surley Pugsley:
http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html
1) Since the Pugs front fork runs a 135mm spacing (the fork mounts a REAR mtb hub), I'm unable to fit the stock Viper skewer. My solution has been to remove the skewer and locking mechanism, run a 6" X 5/16" bolt through the vacated hole, and with sufficient washers as spacers, tighten things down with an appropriate nut.
Ideally, we need a 135mm longer skewer, otherwise threaded the same. Thus, I'd be able to space it, and then lock things as originally designed.
2) As to the rear wheel, it's strapped onto the tray with two large nylon dog collars. Things stay put quite well. It would be nice if you all offered a muuuch longer Rattler strap for the 3.7X26 rear wheel/tire.
I'd pay a premium for either/both.
It's being discussed here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1387370
(It had come up previously on the mtbreview forums under 29er, SS, Alaska, etc. Us Surly fanatics finally have our own brand new forum. The huuuge-tire Pugsleys have gotten popular enough that manufacturers of the required 100m shell bottom brackets can't keep 'em in stock.)
Thanks,
John

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
awesome

TallahasseeTrails said:
I just sent the following to [email protected] with the subject header "Viper Adaptation for 135mm-Spaced Fork"

Folks,
I've been using my Viper to transport my Surley Pugsley:
http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html
1) Since the Pugs front fork runs a 135mm spacing (the fork mounts a REAR mtb hub), I'm unable to fit the stock Viper skewer. My solution has been to remove the skewer and locking mechanism, run a 6" X 5/16" bolt through the vacated hole, and with sufficient washers as spacers, tighten things down with an appropriate nut.
Ideally, we need a 135mm longer skewer, otherwise threaded the same. Thus, I'd be able to space it, and then lock things as originally designed.
2) As to the rear wheel, it's strapped onto the tray with two large nylon dog collars. Things stay put quite well. It would be nice if you all offered a muuuch longer Rattler strap for the 3.7X26 rear wheel/tire.
I'd pay a premium for either/both.
It's being discussed here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1387370
(It had come up previously on the mtbreview forums under 29er, SS, Alaska, etc. Us Surly fanatics finally have our own brand new forum. The huuuge-tire Pugsleys have gotten popular enough that manufacturers of the required 100m shell bottom brackets can't keep 'em in stock.)
Thanks,
John
I just made a couple light mods and fired it off too. Another vote for a Pugs fork mount!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Items:

1 Bike mount
1 rear QR axle 10mm x 1
2 threaded washers from the original QR axle
2 10mm x 1 hex nut
4 7/16" Lock washer
1 13/32" drill bit

Just widen the area for the axle with the drill bit, slide it in, and assemble the pieces. Works perfectly. I know it's a different application than what you guys are using, but someone may need this set up too. Oh, and I would definitely use some type of a drill press to drill out the mount.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
ctxcrossx said:
Items:

1 Bike mount
1 rear QR axle 10mm x 1
2 threaded washers from the original QR axle
2 10mm x 1 hex nut
4 7/16" Lock washer
1 13/32" drill bit

Just widen the area for the axle with the drill bit, slide it in, and assemble the pieces. Works perfectly. I know it's a different application than what you guys are using, but someone may need this set up too. Oh, and I would definitely use some type of a drill press to drill out the mount.

Chris
thats genius! :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thule works for Pugsley

I've been able to use the Thule Criterium upright rack with Pugsley. They're not too expensive and the only modification needed is to replace the ladder straps for the wheels with a pair of $10 toestraps. The clamp attaches to the down tube and works great with even many suspension frames. Chexk it out. Tom

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Sportworks?

Have any of ya'll looked at the Sportworks/Thule Transport series? They're the people who make the city bus racks. Hitch mount wheels on rack that clamps the front tire - the tire "socket" is flared out pretty well, but maybe my mind can't comprehend how wide a Pugs tire really is. My Transport rack has held 16x1.95, 20x1.125, 26x2.4, 29x2.1 with no problems.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=260120

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.