Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carrying my Pug on a dangly-style receiver mount rack. It works OK, but I've been trying to find a more satisfactory answer.

I also have a Sportworks rack but the Pug tire is too wide for the tray and the tire sits several inches above the base bar. As a result the hook that secures the front wheel won't clear the tire. My brother-in-law made an oversized tray that's secured with two 2 inch carriage bolts, washers and nylock nuts. Voila! The bike now mounts perfectly. A regular sized mountain bike tire still works as well. For the Pug, I just pushed the rear wheel mount forward and used an oversized toe strap to secure the rear wheel.

The tray now won't hold a road bike tire securely, so I'm thinking of how I could get more of a "V" shape in the bottom of the tray. I might just make some kind of spacer or cut down an old MTB tire and slip it over the tire to see if that works.

I'm also probably going to get some spray-on truckbed liner and coat the tray so it is a little grippier and doesn't rust.

Attachments

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Pretty smooth Bob. Fortunately all of my pugs rides have been from home since its winter, just back and forth from work and a few fun rides and whatnot. So I haven't needed to transport the Pugs... yet.

Ultimately I think I'm going to rig something up with my Yakima carrier to clamp the front axle with a QR and something similar to what you have on your front tire for the rear. I already have a whacked out system for my Maverick fork that can probably be modded to fit the Pugs fork too.

p.s. Dig the newer Pathy -- came *this* close to buying a new crew cab Frontier a few weeks back, but ultimately wound up keeping my Grand Cherokee. But man oh man, that Nissan motor...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I have been carrying my Pug on a dangly-style receiver mount rack. It works OK, but I've been trying to find a more satisfactory answer.

I also have a Sportworks rack but the Pug tire is too wide for the tray and the tire sits several inches above the base bar. As a result the hook that secures the front wheel won't clear the tire. My brother-in-law made an oversized tray that's secured with two 2 inch carriage bolts, washers and nylock nuts. Voila! The bike now mounts perfectly. A regular sized mountain bike tire still works as well. For the Pug, I just pushed the rear wheel mount forward and used an oversized toe strap to secure the rear wheel.

The tray now won't hold a road bike tire securely, so I'm thinking of how I could get more of a "V" shape in the bottom of the tray. I might just make some kind of spacer or cut down an old MTB tire and slip it over the tire to see if that works.

I'm also probably going to get some spray-on truckbed liner and coat the tray so it is a little grippier and doesn't rust.
That's pretty slick there! My Sportsworks rack is the version before that one with the oval looking hoops up front. Might try and convert it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts