Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my wife wants to build a Pugs this winter...I swear I had nothing to to with her decision ;) So I know it will make a great winter ride, but how is the Pugs on fair weather towine duty? Overkill no doubt, but seems like it could be a cozy ride w/28#'s in the tires.
any comments are valued...Devo are you listening?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Run smaller tires. You can mount 2.3" tires on Large Marge rims. Endomorphs are a waste on pavement. It's a bummer to wear out those tires on pizza and beer runs.

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$$$

tscheezy said:
Run smaller tires. You can mount 2.3" tires on Large Marge rims. Endomorphs are a waste on pavement. It's a bummer to wear out those tires on pizza and beer runs.
Good call ts, should save some $$'s too.
So Big Apple's will work on a Large Marge rim?

3,617 Posts
Endos on pave work ok
when the PSI is up they dont seem to wear too fast
in fact...
they really last a long time
typically i run them at 30psi if im on the pave all the time.
i have even been known to take the Pug on group road rides.
all in all
the Pug out lasts other bikes i've had/have
that is...
in view of what its like to ride a bike over a year as the miles tick away...
but of course...its WORK to push the pug all over town
however...in that regard
if you just kind of sit back and try to not work too hard...
you'd actually be amazed how fast a Pug rolls around town.

i like my Pug as town duty
i like the fact that the bike is big and heavy
its almost like a secondary theft deterant system.
i dont worry too much when i cable it to a 8ft parking sign pole
cuz i figure if someone can actually pick the bike up and over...
well...maybe i dont want to chase a monster like that.

the Pug is over kill
but its very fun
i like that its consistant
no pumping up tyres every day
the brakes are always reliable
i think there is something to be said about "how much material there is in a system"
you know...
light weight parts wear out faster, cuz there is less material
uhh...
LM rims? wheels? lol
i have yet to even think about truing those wheels
SOLID

·
Registered
419 Posts
Diesel

Surprisingly good speed can be generated on pavement whilst remaining within reasonable parameters for physical effort. That said, a 230 pounder would notice it less, right? :D

The tires emit a low whine, akin to a diesel locomotive's dynamic braking system, and zing-zinging discs reminds me of flange squeal! Ol' Casey would've dug the Pug.

Attachments

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Big, Heavy, Solid, Diesel...not words I use to discribe my wife.
No really, sounds like she should fine pushing the Pugs around town.

Great pic RJ

·
Registered
245 Posts
Japanese slick pics

I saw these pics of what I think are Maxxis Hookworms looking fine on a Large Marge equiped 1x1 in Japan. I might try this on my Pug for less rolling resistance, so I can gear higher when riding fixed on the road.

I use my Pug as my main bike - beach riding, mountain biking, cruising around town with my kids and some commuting. It does it all well if you aren't in a hurry.
I'm conscious of how much the Endos will cost to replace (I live in New Zealand - a very long way from Minnesota) but they are wearing very well.

You just have to hear the sound Endomorphs make on the road when you are going over 50 or 60 kph (35 mph?). Pedestrians can actually hear you coming and turn around to see what is making all the racket. It sounds like 4x4 off-road tyres on the motorway.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
when i used to take the Pug out on group road rides, i'd laff when someone would say...
"car back"
as they think a car is approaching the group
endos make a hum

someone else once told me that it sounded like the prop on an airplane on take off.

I have 2 CK hubs on my Pug. put all that racket together.
the Pug pretty much doesnt need a bell or even to call out, "on our left" as you ride around town.

then of course there is always the freedom to run over those orange road cones, and/or those flippy floppy political campaign signs, and/or open house signs, etc.
crushing thru fallen treen branches is fun too.

fyi: Endo's around $90 US b4 shipping, tax, etc. so you figure its a C note ($100) per tyre.
uhhh....$200 for bicycle tyres?
ya...
yuppie

altho they are MEGA tyres they are not impervious to road debris.
the ONE flat i got was after a rain and i ran over a cardboard box, pallet debris, and/or piece of asphalt roofing material. i ended up with a piece of either a roofing staple or just a piece of cardboard box staple in the tyre.
uhh....
it went flat in about 2 minutes
i rode into work, NASCAR style, with a floppy rear tyre

as a the rainy season (of which we have yet to experience this year) settles in, more and more road debris is out there, and flats become more of a hazard, secondary to cars crashing all the time, glass, etc on the pave, often i'd think of adding some Stan's or Slim to the tubes.

i've also entertained thoughts of Big Apples or those Hookworms on the LM rims. I think i'd opt for the Maxxis tyre. that tread pattern is very Metzler-esq of which at some point Conti copied into their line of GP3000 tyres. from my days on a motorbike, and the road bike, i know there is something to that funky pattern. i dont know what the duometer is on those tyres but if they were smart they'd make them kinda sticky.

thats my 2 cent ramble for today

peace...d

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've also entertained thoughts of Big Apples or those Hookworms on the LM rims. I think i'd opt for the Maxxis tyre. that tread pattern is very Metzler-esq
Devo, I could'nt place that tread pattern but it looked so familiar..Metzler! I had them on my motorbike as well-stellar wet weather performance.

Maybe "we" should consider a 1X1 with big meats? That fat tire BMX 1X1 looks cool as hell.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
The tread pattern of the endos is not too aggressive to prevent street riding. I like to keep the Pug ready to roll off road at a moment's notice, so taking off the endos is not an option for me. The momentum one can build on pavement is amazing. I don't care so much about speed or weight since I'm not racing the thing. In addition, the extra load carrying capability of the endos is great for grocery and beer runs.

P.S. The first flat I had on the Pug was a real experience . . . I couldn't quite understand how I was losing speed while coasting down hill . . . one look behind me and it was apparent. A few minutes later the rear tire was floppin' and shortly thereafter, I was walkin'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.