Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my Pug build with a lot of help from the folks at the LBS! I know - another Pug, but this one is mine! I had a blast getting the parts and planning the build and even more fun when I rode it for the first time yesterday!

--Rob

Attachments

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Rockin' the Whirly. Looks great!

Lookin' at your fine build brings up a question. My spankin' new wheelset from Speedwaycool is sportin' a SRAM cassette. Do I need to run a SRAM rear derailleur, too? Or will my old XT derailleur work?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crux said:
That looks to clean. How is Swanson or Platte this time of year?
Have not had it out to either place. The pics were taken when it only had about .5 miles on it - test road in the basement of the LBS. It is now dirty and feeling more at home in the garage!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mangoman said:

Lookin' at your fine build brings up a question. My spankin' new wheelset from Speedwaycool is sportin' a SRAM cassette. Do I need to run a SRAM rear derailleur, too? Or will my old XT derailleur work?
I am not sure. I like the SRAM stuff so it never became a question for me. Hopefully someone will have the answer for you.

--Rob

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
mangoman said:

You need to match shifters and derailleur not derailleur and cassette. I always use SRAM cassettes but Shimano shifters & derailleur...

·
Registered
67 Posts

Have run SRAM - Shimano mix's in the past, set up from memory usually ends up with the gears "Ghost" shifting.

Best to keep it all compatable.

I'm sure someone on here can give some extra feedback.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,469 Posts
Have run SRAM - Shimano mix's in the past, set up from memory usually ends up with the gears "Ghost" shifting.

Best to keep it all compatable.

I'm sure someone on here can give some extra feedback.
Truly not trying to be argumentative here, but no, there are no cross compatibility issues using Shimano drive train with SRAM cassette, or vice versa. As long as shifter and derailleur are the same make, it will work flawlessly.

Ghost shifting that you found, had another cause, such as misalignment of the hanger, differentially worn parts, cable tension, housings of insufficient length to deal with suspension growth and contraction, etc etc etc....

:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.