Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search but couldn't find this.

I want to get a Pug and run the Large Marge rims during the winter snow season, but then during the summer would like to turn the bike into a 69'er running a WTB Dual Duty 700c rim in the front (using the rear wheel on my cyclocross disc ride). Can the standard Pug fork handle this size-wise?

Thanks in advance -

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Yes

I have a 100mm pug fork on my spicer (which is a non-sus corrected 29er). Currently I have a WTB Stout 2.3 mounted on that bike with a ton of clearance. No issues running any combination of 29er rim or tire currently on the market.

If you need pics, let me know and I can probably come up with some this weekend...

Plum

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It can handle any 29er tire made.

I tried the 69er thing and it was horrible. Choppered out the bike too much. Simply build up a set of 29er wheels with the same size rotors and the swap out is easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

So you're saying that you hated the 69er ride but straight-up 29" wheels front and back was better? Hmm, that would mean I'd have to build another 29" wheel for the back but I guess I could. Was hoping to just use stuff I had laying around.

To clarify, the first respondent said 100mm fork. If I want to use the Large Marge and Endomorphs will I need the 135 fork, or will the 100 work too. Sorry I haven't done all the research. This is mainly a snow bike so the LM's are first priority. The 69 or 29 ride for summer is just icing on the cake.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Vikingfan said:
To clarify, the first respondent said 100mm fork. If I want to use the Large Marge and Endomorphs will I need the 135 fork, or will the 100 work too.
The 100mm pugsley fork is the aftermarket fork for the pug with the 100mm dropout spacing. The fork will work for the LM/Endo combination, but there's no need to have the goofy offset/135mm hub combo on the standard pug fork.

You will have to shimmy the LM/Endo into the fork ends, as the rim/tire combination is close to (if not over) 100mm. This is why the stock pug fork uses 135mm hubs.

Personally, I'm using the fork on a non-sus corrected 29er and didn't have a use for the offset fork. If I ever get around to trying a fat front setup on the bike, I'll deal with deflating or wiggling the tire through the dropouts..

Keep in mind that you need a 135mm hub AND an offset build in the stock pug fork, so if you have a normal, center dished wheelset already, they won't center in the 135mm pug fork unless you redish the wheel. Depending on how much the offset is (17mm I think?) you may not be able to redish a normal wheel that far..

Plum

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Yes 69ering the Pugsley was horrible. I used a 2.7 inch WTB Timberwolf in the rear on the large marge rim and a 2.3 inch WTB Exiwolf up front on a 29er rim. No bueno. Handled badly.

Start cutting spokes, order a new rim and spokes and build up. Go with an offset rim if you can.

As a 29er, the Pugsley handles very nice. It is a bit heavy but I don't have any light parts on it. It makes a nice addition to my stable. My other 29er is a SS so now I have a geared option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.