Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: My Pug is slowly coming together. I need to purchase driveline components, BB, crank. chain, rear deraileur, and cassette. I'd like your opinions on which components would work well for this application. Middle of the road price wise with reliability being the most important factor. THANKS!!

·
short timer
173 Posts
Just a quick note- I went with a Truative BB and RaceFace Crankset... together less than $100 BUT wish I had waited to save the money for a Mr. Whirley... why I don't know... went with Onza headset, BB7 's, Sram X9 shifters and rear deraileur.
Hope this helps.. overall very happy... working on Mav SC32 forks and wheel right now...

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I set mine up to be the most reliable as possible with as light as I felt going. Shimano XT front and rear derailleur, Mr Whirly crankset, XT M775 hub, 7spd cassette, most expensive 6-7-8spd Shimano chain, (IG90 or something 90), and Deore 7sp thumb shifters. You can substitute SLX instead of XT for the same reliability I would say. 7spd gives you less cross chaining and a wider chain and cog spacing. Overall much more reliable than 9spd. I'd avoid SRAM shifters because they have a bushing in their pulleys that can trap moisture and freeze, whereas Shimano uses a bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts