Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do I need to have a rear disc mount for the fork? I am running Shimano Deore hydro brakes.I am asking this because I haven't received the wheels yet ,it's incoming. Just trying to anticipate what else I need.

Excited to get this going!

Cheers,
Redster

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
Shimano use mostly the same brake saddles front and rear, replace the front
mounting adapter with a rear adapter

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just some tidbits on the brakes. Shimano hydros tend to leak below about 10F. Also my pug fork (and 2 others) had the tabs so far out of whack that there was no way I would have gotten anything other than an Avid caliper with CPS on there. Hopefully Surly has improved things since then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good info about the Shimano brakes leaking in extreme low temp. Just got some generic rear IS to post mount adapters. It seems that it may work but I may wanna check Shimano rear brake adapters as the calipers looks like it can go lower into the rotors few more millimeters. I'll check at the bike shop and see the Shimano brakes equipped bikes and see how low the caliper sits on top of the rotor. I'll check caliper alignment once my wheels arrives, I do have access to a disc brake mount mill( pretty trick tool ) If I can't resolve the caliper alignment issue I'll get some Avids or swap the ones on my current FS rig.

·
Registered
257 Posts
When you have the tabs faced on a steele frame, what do you do about rust?

Also, what is the typical cost of having a shop face the brake tabs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well for rust protection I'll smear some grease on the tabs . Maybe spray some JP Weigle frame saver spray on the bare metal.
Price for facing the brake tabs vary from shop to shop, my local shop charges about twenty bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts