Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Had a couple questions regarding disc specifics as i try to nail down the remainder of my parts. This is my first build, so excuse me for sounding ignorant at least half the time

So, BB7's seem like a popular way to go. People have pretty positive things to say about them, so I was going to roll with that.

Does the front fork actually take the rear brake setup? Do i really need a special adapter or just a rear caliper?

I was thinking about the Paul Love 2.5's levers. Are they compatible with BB7's?

I was also thinking of going with the 208mm rotors. Does that seem excessive? If i went with them, would I need an adapter? Is there a certain size rotor that would be considered 'native' for the pug?

Thanks!
Alan

·
Registered
933 Posts
BB7's are popular because they can be field maintained. The Pugsley fork uses a rear caliper mount, so you can swap front and rear wheels. The BB7 comes as such. I think Most folks use the 160mm rotor with their pugs. If you want to go larger, you will need a different caliper hanger to mount on the fork to match the disc size. I like a 185mm rotor up front, but use the 160 in back. I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to go larger.

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
I run BB7s w. 203mm rotors on my Pugs and I don't think that's excessive :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
BB7s now come with both the front and rear adapters so run whichever size you want. 203mm rotors might be excessive if you're a lightweight.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BB7s now come with both the front and rear adapters so run whichever size you want. 203mm rotors might be excessive if you're a lightweight.
i am for sure not much of a heavyweight, clocking in around 160lbs these days. BUT i do plan to do some loaded camping on it. probably nothing that difficult, but i figure the extra stopping power may be a good thing.

thanks for the info everyone, i am leaning towards the 203mm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
aljee said:
i am for sure not much of a heavyweight, clocking in around 160lbs these days. BUT i do plan to do some loaded camping on it. probably nothing that difficult, but i figure the extra stopping power may be a good thing.

thanks for the info everyone, i am leaning towards the 203mm.

I run the stock BB7 rotors [185mm] on my Pug and have done fully loaded dirt/offroad touring with them. Personally I can't see needing bigger rotors. I use the same size BB7's on my Big Dummy which sees some heavily loaded mtn descents with no issues.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so another question:

the alfine uses centerlock rotors. my plan for the front is to use the 6-bolt standard rotor mount (surly new hub). the brakes i have ordered are 6-bolt as well. i know there are some adapters to so that one can use a 6-bolt rotor on centerlocks.

as conventional wisdom (and my dad) would say, "the more parts, the more likely something is going to FAIL".
has any one used an adapter for 6-bolt rotors? i have read some mixed things about them. just wondereing if anyone had something say here. suggestions for a good adapter would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Alan

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I've used quite a few adapters. My Pugsley has centerlock adapters front and rear. I used DT Swiss adapters. They worked well with the G3 cleansweep rotors. What I've also done instead of buying the expensive adapters is to just get a centerlock rotor. Avid should have their version available, but the LX level Shimano ones are cheaper than the adapters. I used a 203mm on the front of my Big Dummy with a centerlock dynamo hub. Works just fine. Not as good as a cleansweep but better than a roundagon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts