Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have specs for trail/length/etc.. to make a fork that will work with a Pugsley front wheel to be thrown on a 29er? I know Jones does it but the fork I believe is designed specifically for his frame specs (think he uses a slacker headtube than normal). But I like the idea and well I like to ride in snow. It's the Minnesotan in me. :)

Any specs/examples? Also is a 135 hub neccesary or just convient to the Pugsleys swapable wheel idea?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Something to consider is that the front end height vs angle vs offset may have other optima for a 26x3.7 tire than for plain29", even if they are the same diameter.
The one to ask would be Surly or Jeff Jones.

I found the Pugsley to be extremely (no, really extremely) nervous riding through worn out narrow singletrack, the tire kep getting caught on the sides of the singletrack. Some geometry adjustment might reduce this effect, although a narrower rim might have a greater effect for the better for this particular kind of riding.

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
I've run the 100mm Pug fork in my Monkey, (until its untimely demise from an errant bocce ball!) It lowers the BB height a bit, and steepens the head angle some. The fork is claimed to be 19mm shorter at 447mm axle to crown. I did not find it to be bad at all, and I was very pleased with how the bike rode and handled.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
I have the 100mm pug fork on my spicer (which is in the classifieds, BTW). My spicer was designed around a 440mm non-suspension corrected fork though, so the pug fits without messing with the geometry.

As forks go, it's a fork. Fits 29er tires without any issue, fenders too. I did really have to crank on the QR to keep the wheel from rotating in the DO though. I wish more people would move to the front entry Fargo/Kelly style dropouts, no slippage there.

Plum

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
juansevo said:
Anyone have specs for trail/length/etc.. to make a fork that will work with a Pugsley front wheel to be thrown on a 29er? I know Jones does it but the fork I believe is designed specifically for his frame specs (think he uses a slacker headtube than normal). But I like the idea and well I like to ride in snow. It's the Minnesotan in me. :)

Any specs/examples? Also is a 135 hub neccesary or just convient to the Pugsleys swapable wheel idea?
Has anyone tried putting an Endomorph in a regular 29er fork? I guess it depends on your rim width, but the nominal measurement for the tire is 3.7", or 94mm. The dropout spacing is 100mm. Depending on the dropout design, it might fit in a regular 29er fork. I am too cheap to spend $100 for this experiment, but someone who has and Endomorph and a 29er should be able to try it.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.